144" on 04 Viper S or 00 SRX

dewieiii

:o| Both sleds are completely stock and have approx. 7,000 km. The Viper S is electric start and reverse while the SRX is plain jane. The rear skid I'm looking to install is a 144" Viper Mountain Skid and 1.3" Cobera track. The question is witch sled would be better to change over. I don't do a lot of trail riding, the reason I'm looking to extend the tack, I ride 1/2 the time in and out of fishing towing a portable ice hut and the other 1/2 the time wanting to bang the ditches, play in the hills and powder. Oh and not to mention I still like the 100 mph top end. I know it is a little late to start the project this year but I keep putting it off not knowing which sled to put FOR SALE. Also my other question is while I have the chain case open should I be looking to change any of the gearing since going from 121" to 144". I'm really looking for anyone to pitch in their 2 cents.

:2strokes:

If it were me I'd do it on the Viper. Mainly because it has a long travel front to match the rear. I'd get it geared to match final ratio of a mountain Viper. You'll have to do some math though as mountain Viper had 8 tooth drivers I believe so if you keep the 9 tooth you'll need different gears to get the same end ratio.

Thanks, I was looking at going to a smaller drive sprocket (8 tooth) on either machine in order to have the clearance for the deeper lugs to ensure I kept the track out of the heat exchangers.

I did a 144 viper and it came out awesome. Same sled as yours. I didn't change drivers or gearing and never had any issues on or off trail. Do a search for "pair of Vipers go 144". You can see e Carly what you will have.

I have 1 of each both with aftermarket ekholm tunnels with drop and roll chain cases and 9 tooth extrovert drivers, srx is a 141 and viper is 144,I just bought and rebuilt srx last year and barely have 10 miles on it, viper just bought last month and rebuilding motor, i could tell a huge difference over my 121 99 srx, seems like they lift out of the snow better instead of digging a trench on takeoff

I would go for the Viper also, but then again I'm biased :roll:. But I agree with Staggs. You would get a better suspension for the powder riding. If you look at the specs for the clutching and gearing in the Tech Section, there's a difference between the two in all drive line aspects. If I were doing this project, I would leave everything as is, and decide later about the gearing / clutching.

I consider my mountain vipers great crossover sleds.

Well thanks for confirming folks, I was leaning to the Viper too. I did look over "super1c's" extension project and a couple of others and gotta say they really do look good once complete. I'm not going to be using extensions but rather installing a 144" viper mountain skid into my tunnel and know a great fab shop that will be doing my tunnel for me. I do have a couple more questions though, my 04' Viper S came with a rear heat exchanger. I viewed a couple of builds on the site and it sounded as though guys were buying them and or modifying SRX rear coolers I'm sure mine came with it as I bought the sled a couple of years old (in 2006) and the guy only had 200km on it and I've had it ever since. I think I'm going to stick with my 9 tooth drivers as suggested since the cobra track I have is the 1.36". The reason being that I got it from a friend of mine who after just a couple hundred miles on his new sled totaled it and I got a super deal on the track. Like I mentioned before this sled is complete stock with NO modifications at all and original factory clutch that I've never played with just cleaned, am I best to leave everything alone or should I change anything in the chain case while I have it apart. I can always make small adjustments to the clutch as far as different spring and or spring settings but don't really know a lot about that. Some of the posts I've read about clutches are chinese to me and talk about heel klickers and weights to which I haven't the slightest clue. I know enough to keep them clean and to adjust the defection so that the belt sits up about 1/8" to 3/16" but that's about it. If anyone can spell it out for me in lame mans terms that would be sweet.

Back