Common sense Please

Yamaha Nutz

First off i Love this forum and really enjoy helping your guys out answering questions to the best of my abilities, but lately it has been very frustrating with some questions ...........

Now this is not directed toward anyone this is just a general overview .....

i am speaking with over 20 years experience of racing,tuning, and building from ground up, general repairs etc

so 2 things that have me on edge lately are carbs and clutch's

so we will start with carbs ...........many of these sled have been sitting and the inside of the carbs look like hell.....everyone has there own tricks to clean them that is fine but do yourself a favor
PUT ALL NEW JETS AND NEW VITON TIP needle and seats in the sled eliminate the problems also needles and tubes do wear replace them this will alleviate many common issues for just a little extra money and many headache done the road for something you could not see that was causing a issue

Clutch's CLEAN AND TIGHT .....if they are not clean and tight with a good belt and deflection you are waiting your time

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN .....i cannot stress it enough dirt wears clutch components fast keel them clean no build up some are so bad they have to be taken apart and bead blasted take the clutchs off and was them in the parts cleaner or if the wife is not home toss them in the dish washer (they will come out like new ) if components are too loose replace before your do damage elsewhere ...yes it can get pricey but if you do it right and keep them clean they will last

I will touch more on other aspects later

I love this forum as well tons of great advise and people you can tell that really love the sport. I can certainly understand where answering the same basic mechanical questions over and over gets tiresome. I can also see where the guy just buys a new to him old sled or digs out the old beast that's been sitting forever and wants to go for a ride ASAP, and throws up the same issues countless others have had. Not sure if it exists Nutz but perhaps a
"vintage sled must do list" sticky for just this, would alleviate some of that frustration and as previously noted a quick search would direct them there. perhaps the Mods could gather similar info into that sticky ?
Just throwing out ideas......
On another note I am sure it is long over due but I for one want to thank Nutz, all the veterans and Yamaha Guru's on here that take there own time to help guys like me out.
I am not new to Vintage sleds but certainly new to vintage Yamaha and your insight is invaluable. I will certainly make better use of the "search" feature going forward
And again thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once i have more time I will put together some basic must does for any sled weather sitting for ever or getting ready to go for the year

I have an 84 phazer that I pulled out of the lake last year. I put gas in it and pulled on the rope but it doesnt pull. what can be wrong??

I have an 84 phazer that I pulled out of the lake last year. I put gas in it and pulled on the rope but it doesnt pull. what can be wrong??

Easy fix.

Tie the rope around your neck, toss the other end over a tree branch and pull again. REAL HARD!! Don't let go neither.

Couple of minutes and that Phazer will be the perfect sled for ya.

opsnot

guy showed up at our local hill drags last friday night with a very nice 98 srx 700. sled was so bad it barely ran. this post would fit him perfect. 3:16x (yammie tony)

May be guilty of posting without searching enough on my own at times. Searching through the forums for exactly the info you need can be extremely tedious at times. But i do love it. You learn alot with trial and error reading through all the threads. I appreciate all of you senior members and everyone on here whos soo willing to help out. These forums are an awesome source for great info. Keep up the great work everyone it would be nothing without this great community !!
oh and btw ive got a 1960's superbug, think a monster sticker would add that extra 3 hp ive been looking for?

First off i Love this forum and really enjoy helping your guys out answering questions to the best of my abilities, but lately it has been very frustrating with some questions ...........

Now this is not directed toward anyone this is just a general overview .....

i am speaking with over 20 years experience of racing,tuning, and building from ground up, general repairs etc

so 2 things that have me on edge lately are carbs and clutch's

so we will start with carbs ...........many of these sled have been sitting and the inside of the carbs look like hell.....everyone has there own tricks to clean them that is fine but do yourself a favor
PUT ALL NEW JETS AND NEW VITON TIP needle and seats in the sled eliminate the problems also needles and tubes do wear replace them this will alleviate many common issues for just a little extra money and many headache done the road for something you could not see that was causing a issue

Clutch's CLEAN AND TIGHT .....if they are not clean and tight with a good belt and deflection you are waiting your time

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN .....i cannot stress it enough dirt wears clutch components fast keel them clean no build up some are so bad they have to be taken apart and bead blasted take the clutchs off and was them in the parts cleaner or if the wife is not home toss them in the dish washer (they will come out like new ) if components are too loose replace before your do damage elsewhere ...yes it can get pricey but if you do it right and keep them clean they will last

I will touch more on other aspects later

Exactly!! Thank you for the words of wisdom. Please use the FAQ pages and Search before asking the same questions over and over.

Back