1988 exciter running issues

excited

I purchased a 1988 Exciter last winter. I only was able to drive it a few times but had a similar problem each time. I could start it up and it would idle fine. It would fly down the road or trail. But if I let it sit idling after driving a while then when I would try and go again it would bog down.

As an example. I started it up, went up and down my road (1/2 mile + each way) two or three times at a high speed (50mph-60). Then the plow truck came by so I shoveled out the end of my driveway while the sled idled in the driveway. and then when I went to go again the sled would just bog. Not enough power to make it go forward.

I limped it back into the garage. The next day I went to start it up and it fired right up and I could ride it down the road again. I didnt take it back out after that.

This same type of thing happened on the trail where I drove 10 miles and then went back out on the trail where I rode for a while with stops to let my girlfriend catch up. Then I stopped once and got off to talk to her when she caught up while the sled idled. and when I went to go again it bogged down and wouldnt go forward

I did pull the carbs and cleaned them before all of this happened. I had a friend help tune the two carbs together. I have started the sled to start this season and it started up and has the power to run down the trail but I am hesitant to go far or anywhere alone.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Its been pretty darn warm the last few days. Crank the air screw out 1.5 to 2 turns in the warm weather. Exciters run like poop above 25F with stock jetting. Turning off the carb heater helps in warm weather too. Oh, if you let it idle for more than a minute or two with out burping the throttle every so often, your going to have issues like you discribe. Sleds are not like a car, you cant let them idle infinitely.

Last edited:

Back