97 700 sx

gabbett1

Hey everyone, I have a 700 SX that my brother used to have completely tuned out. 800cc, clutching, the works from Reichards Performance at the time. At one point in time it blew up, he gave it to his buddies and they put it back to stock, all but the clutching. They blew the belt that was on the sled and tried putting on the stock sized belt not realizing that it doesn't fit.

Since, I've bought the sled and I've been trying to sort things out. I recently put AAEN pipes on and am pretty sure I have the proper primary spring and weights in (Comet 108 EXP), but didn't know if I would need to change anything on the secondary. The secondary is a bit of a mystery. It's an Arctic Cat roller secondary that Reichards Performance had my brother install because it was supposed to be quite a bit more efficient. Problem is, I can't find any information on it whatsoever, so I have no idea if I need to change the spring or even what belt size I should be using. I found a formula to calculate belt size and the closest thing is a Polaris belt... I'm going to try it but I have no idea if I'm just wasting my money or not. I adjusted my carbs based on what Hauck Powersports recommended, but something seems way off. I had to jet down the PTO from 148.8 to 145. Mid range seems bogged. I'm installing some EGT's to help sort that all out.

I've been reading quite a bit and see some people talk about gearing change. They say a 2:1 ratio helps the sled. What's the stock ratio? Would I benefit from this change?

Any help would be appreciated.

If it was me I would put the money for the Polaris belt into a stock Yamaha secondary. They are plentiful and cheap.

What's the stock ratio? Would I benefit from this change?
Stock is 23/40. I personally like a 2:1..... like a 20/40. However, our trails are in cornfield county and WOT speed runs are non-existent. Fence line to fence line jack rabbit running. If you do have opportunities to let her gallop, a 21/40 would be better.

Stock is 23/40. I personally like a 2:1..... like a 20/40. However, our trails are in cornfield county and WOT speed runs are non-existent. Fence line to fence line jack rabbit running. If you do have opportunities to let her gallop, a 21/40 would be better.

What does a 20/40 get you? Better top end or better acceleration? What would a 21/41 change do? Is there a place to calculate all of this?

Last edited:
Spoke to the guys at Hauck Powersports and they recommended going with a 22/40 setup. Said I'd gain acceleration and top end.

Spoke to the guys at Hauck Powersports and they recommended going with a 22/40 setup. Said I'd gain acceleration and top end.

yes. from factory they come a little overgeared. dropping a tooth or 2 helps utilize the clutching better is what ive heard. Im running 8t drivers which is the equivalent to dropping 4 teeth (19:40). If you have no need to go over 100mph ever this is a GREAT setup for tight twisty trails and aggressive riding.

For Hauck to say that without knowing you riding style/habits and terrain is not the best way answer to your question you posed to them.
What do you like to do & what are your riding conditions. Trails,drifty,ditches,lakes,groomed,gravel crossings or whatever.

What does a 20/40 get you? Better top end or better acceleration? What would a 21/41 change do? Is there a place to calculate all of this?
20/40 will give you maximum acceleration. I have never been able to get mine topped out but I'd imagine it'll top out @ 90mph. But it gets up to 60 in nothing flat. But I also have a track that puts the power to the ground too.
Pretty much anytime you lower gearing, you'll lose top end but gain lots of fun on the low end.

For Hauck to say that without knowing you riding style/habits and terrain is not the best way answer to your question you posed to them.
What do you like to do & what are your riding conditions. Trails,drifty,ditches,lakes,groomed,gravel crossings or whatever.

Sorry, but what makes you think I didn't tell them my riding style?

Local dirtbike/snowmobile parts repair shop. Take the carb/jet with you. There are many different jet styles. They look similar it are not

I know that I got a 22mm inline temp sensor back when I was putting on my gauges and that fit nicely. I put it into the hose that comes off the head and runs to the right side cooler.

Hey everyone, I'm getting closer to sorting this thing out, but I'm still having clutching issues. I found the proper belt, but the clutching isn't fully engaging. I top out around 75mph.

As you can see from the clutching, I marked each, did a high speed run and they are barely functioning.
IMG_20180318_181309356_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180318_181304742_HDR.jpg

I'm afraid not many on here have experience with those clutches on a sx. You may get somewhere talking to Tom Hartman, I know he has used polaris and comet parts on many mountain maxes. www.hartmaninc.com
I swapped from a p-85 primary back to a yami one because no-one could tell me an easy setup.

Back