Clean your carbs THOROUGHLY!!!

tnc110

VIP Lifetime Member
My SRX wasn't running up to snuff the last ride. Recently I cleaned the carbs and cleaned the power valves...one of the power valves had a broken cable. I thought this was the problem for sure. Put it all together. Fired it up, let it warm up, then let it rip. At wot it went to 8k then bogged. Tried again and it wouldnt hit 8k. What the heck???

Pulled the plugs, pto plug was ghost white. Tank was very low on fuel, topped it off...still bogs. Pulled the airbox and swapped the fuel lines from pto and center....still bogged. Pulled carbs. Pilots and mains looked fine. Went to spray out pilot circuit and no flow!!! Cleaned it out, put everything together and fired it up....good as gold now!

First time around when I cleaned the carbs I saw no crud or gel in bowls, pulled the mains and pilots and they all looked good. I didnt spray out the pilot circuit...thought rest of carb was spotless, so it should be fine...LESSON LEARNED! DONT TAKE SHORT CUTS WHEN CLEANING CARBS!!!!

I'm rather certain that if a buddy, someone other than me, was riding the sled, they would have rode it till it burnt that piston down.

Back