Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt Help

Toboggan

So I only broke off 1 bolt and it's on the top. It is easy to get at and the only one you can actually get a drill lined up on. With all that said I always fail to do this correctly. What do you guys recommend that I do now? Here is a picture of what I'm looking at...

IMG_0439.jpg

Last edited:

If you have access to a welder or know someone who can weld a nut that is a little bigger on it and it will come right out. I do this all the time and it works great. Just make sure you let the weld cool for a few seconds before you try to turn it.

If I was going to call a local business to help me with this would I call a welder, machine shop, snowmobile dealership, or something I had not thought of yet?

If I was going to call a local business to help me with this would I call a welder, machine shop, snowmobile dealership, or something I had not thought of yet?
You might be able to warm it up a little with a propane torch and then use vise grips. Once it loosens it will come right out. Focus the heat on the bolt and then when its warm hit it with wd40 to quickly cool off the bolt. It doesn't have to be cooled down all the way. Sometimes it shocks it enough to loosen. I just use the weld method because its easy for me to do since I have a welder.

I paid a local small engine shop to remove it. They were able to weld a nut to the broken bolt as suggested. It was worth it. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Back