'84 SRV new owner - questions

johnniev57

My nephew got a new sled for him.
It is an 84 SRV.
I have some questions if you can help us out!

Did these come with a comet clutch on them? His has one on it.

It also has a rear fox shock on it - I am guessing that is aftermarket.

What is the belt I need for this sled? Just looking for the easiest/cheapest option here.
what is the dimension of the belt?

Where can I find a PDF file of how to rebuild / tune / clean / adjust the carb on this sled?

Thanks for the help!!

Yep, the 84 did come with a Comet 102c. Verify that it is a 102c. Alot of the Srv's with miles on them had the clutch replaced with a 108c that didnt work quite right without doing a proper set up. If it is still the original factory comet 102, the belt number will be 89X-17641-01-00. About $46.99 from your local dealer. Do yourself a favor and get an OEM belt. Aftermarket belts will cause you nothing but a headache due to the tolerance variences.
No need for a manual to rebuild that carb. The only thing you may have to replace is the needle and seat. They are very simple...and yes the Fox shock is aftermarket.
I always laugh when people use "cheapest" and "easiest" when trying to fix an old sled. "Cheapest" is usually never associated with trying to rehab old sleds. "easiest" means your friends are going to awful mad when you cut corners to get your sled running and they are towing you home. lol

Last edited:
Yep, the 84 did come with a Comet 102c. Verify that it is a 102c. Alot of the Srv's with miles on them had the clutch replaced with a 108c that didnt work quite right without doing a proper set up. If it is still the original factory comet 102, the belt number will be 89X-17641-01-00. About $46.99 from your local dealer. Do yourself a favor and get an OEM belt. Aftermarket belts will cause you nothing but a headache due to the tolerance variences.
No need for a manual to rebuild that carb. The only thing you may have to replace is the needle and seat. They are very simple...and yes the Fox shock is aftermarket.
I always laugh when people use "cheapest" and "easiest" when trying to fix an old sled. "Cheapest" is usually never associated with trying to rehab old sleds. "easiest" means your friends are going to awful mad when you cut corners to get your sled running and they are towing you home. lol

Thanks for the input.
I think it was a 102.
It's a beginner sled to wrench on for my nephew.
He had the carb apart, but when I seen it - it wasn't running right and it seemed to be the carbs - I've never messed with those kinds.
I guess I didn't really mean cheapest way - more like the simplest way as it's one of the first sleds my nephew is working with.
Not trying to cut corners - trying to do it the right way.

He tore the carb apart, but it didn't seem right.
He thinks he has it now - but I haven't seen/ heard it since.
He gave me dimension of the belt and asked me if it was the right dimension.
I have no idea.
I am a Doo guy - never messed with keihen carbs and I figured going to the dealership and getting a belt for it would be easy, but maybe he is looking at other options easier available, I don't know.

Any specs on the adjustments not he carbs?

Again, thanks for the input - I will relay this to him!

i set all my air screws on the carb 2 1/4 turns out. If they are turned in or out too much, it will not perform as it should and the sled will die down.

Last edited:
We've always thought they were the air mixture screw? This is the one on the top of the carb. I replaced all mine with new ones from Yamaha too and the throttle response is better than ever because the tip of the screw wears out and doesn't seal like it's supposed too. Anyway I always turn those screws 2 1/4 out and it runs excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the screw is between the throttle valve and the engine, it is a fuel screw. If its between the throttle valve and air box its an air screw.

Back