SX Viper suspension set-up with boss seat

Matt Ridesred

Hello, first time posting. I put a Boss seat and a 2" block riser on my 02' SX Viper this year. The handling seems to be vastly decreased. Sled is tippy in the corners, skis coming off ground. I was wondering what I could do to the suspension to help. Tighten limiter straps? Just had all shocks rebuilt also. Came back from shop with full rate adjuster set to hard. Center of gravity has changed so I'm thinking the suspension set-up should. Appreciate any feedback. You Viper guys have been my bible when it comes to this sled. Thank you!;)!:winterrul

Last edited:

Yes you have changed the center of gravity by a lot. But you have to admit your knees are happy! Make sure to take all preload out of center shock ( front shock on skid). With skid in air spring should be slightly loose. Set limiter straps at stock. 10-15 mm bolt showing. Set front shocks to liking but go stiff side. You need good carbides also. Give it some time to learn new position and you will love it. All my Vipers are exactly as yours but much taller on riser.

Thank You! Boss seat makes a huge difference. I will follow your wisdom. The Full rate adjuster is actually set to hard. Should I adjust back to center medium position? Any control rod adjustments?

My experience thus far with the boss set-up has been limited. Low snow, higher temps. I put a pair of Woodys Doolys on this year. I don't like them, bad pushing. I will go back to using 6" Slim Jims which have worked well. I feel like I have to lean real low, with a correct set-up will this still be the case?
Thank You.

Last edited:
Hi northern srx, I couldn't PM you, I don't have 5 posts yet. I ordered right from Boss. I called the owner on the phone. I was given a discount for ordering 2 seats. He had the style I wanted stitched already, and they arrived within 3 weeks. So far I really like the seat. The only issue at 100 miles is side logo deterioration. The side logos definitely will not hold up.

R/t Performance-
The seats came to about $470 each with lights and shipping.

Last edited:
you will always have to give it a bit more body english to get the slot car feel. Your sitting up much higher now but with some adjusting you should get real close.

Hi northern srx, I couldn't PM you, I don't have 5 posts yet. I ordered right from Boss. I called the owner on the phone. I was given a discount for ordering 2 seats. He had the style I wanted stitched already, and they arrived within 3 weeks. So far I really like the seat. The only issue at 100 miles is side logo deterioration. The side logos definitely will not hold up.

R/t Performance-
The seats came to about $470 each with lights and shipping.
Thanks for the info you have bigger picture of them on the sleds . I would love to see them
Trying to decide if it's worth the coin

I'm pondering the Boss seat also. Seems like a nice seat. Not that is matters too much but is the storage about the same as the stock viper seat or more?

Like already said. Your gona have to get used to using a little more body input when cornering. Setting up suspension to Corner alone will lessen its performance in other situations.

Out of you guys that have installed the boss seat on your sleds. Have any of you used it to ride double? My son still rides in front of me but is starting to get a little to big to fit comfortably. I know it's only a few years before he can ride legally I the trials so I don't want to get a two up just for the short amount of time. Other option would be to just upgrade to a four stroke. Sorry for the hijacking.

devinzz1 - It seemed like when turning I was having to put weight on outside floorboard while leaning heavily inside to keep both skis on the ground. I look forward to riding with the suspension adjustments and Slim Jims. I think I will also start with Full Rate Adjuster in the middle position. I had my skis shimmed half of the time which was a bad combo with those Doolys!

Last edited:
Rider position is farther forward, but if he is small enough he might fit if front of you.

Last edited:
Matt,
Thanks for the video. There does seem like there's a bit more room in there then the stock seat.

I read another thread here where the guy ground the rivets to remove the bolts that held the stock seat on? Is this necessary? I would like to keep those bolts in place in order to quickly swap the stock seat back on easily.

I would rather modify the Boss seat by cutting/drilling a hole in the bottom for the stock seat bolts on the tunnel to slide into, instead of removing those bolts entirely.

Last edited:
I ground the rivets off to drop the seat studs. Very easy to re-install with a rivet gun if you chose to. The posts are right at the Boss seat edges.

Back