Boyesen or vforce reeds with reed spacers worth it?

Yooper89

So I'm trying to decide if aftermarket reeds are worth the money. Read alot on some say boyesen and most say vforce.But I haven't found anything on what works better with spacers. I'm making a set of reed spacers at work. Using the print off the tech page. Perks to working at a machine shop! So before I take the carbs off should I invest in reeds? Or stick with the stock and buy better pedal? Thanks for your input!

I personally like my vforce reeds in my mtn sled. It woke it up a lot for mid range response. Running a straight through race can too. A trail sled drill the can and get spacers on stock reeds. I just don't like the idea of grinding stoppers.

I just bought a vforce setup for my sx700. It was due for reeds but haven't run the sled yet...I'll post when I do. There is so much conflicting info online. Some say they last forever and others seem to chip them in one season??? I never run vforce before. I've had the boyesen two stage reeds In a couple different applications and liked them, noticed a little throttle response, nothing major. My stock reeds were still flat and prob still "good" but, being 20 years old I figured it couldn't hurt to get some fresh ones. I also liked the idea of new cages and not having to deal with those little tiney screws... Always seem to strip at least one on each cage. I thought about the rage cages but I saw a couple of backwoods posts about how he liked his v3's and I got a better deal on the VF

running carbontech reeds and spacers on my sx. NOTICABLE increase in throttle response and cleaned up the mid range gurgle these can get. worth the $150 for the difference it made to my sled. NOTE: although not really damaged my stock reeds had alot of miles on them so it may not be so night and day difference to new oems.

Vforce reeds are now used by the oems and ive never heard any problems with them personally. I think the carbontechs are better bang for buck though.

I just bought a vforce setup for my sx700. It was due for reeds but haven't run the sled yet...I'll post when I do. There is so much conflicting info online. Some say they last forever and others seem to chip them in one season??? I never run vforce before. I've had the boyesen two stage reeds In a couple different applications and liked them, noticed a little throttle response, nothing major. My stock reeds were still flat and prob still "good" but, being 20 years old I figured it couldn't hurt to get some fresh ones. I also liked the idea of new cages and not having to deal with those little tiney screws... Always seem to strip at least one on each cage. I thought about the rage cages but I saw a couple of backwoods posts about how he liked his v3's and I got a better deal on the VF

vForce's claim of increased durability I feel has solid merit. There are twice the number of petals and they only open half as much and they are replaceable far easier than dealing with petals on a stock cage. It does amaze me they use these flimsy nylon petals and in marine 2 stroke outboards they run stainless petals that last forever. there is about a 3000 rpm difference at wot but most outboards run in the 6000 range wot and live there for hours on end.

either way, if your sled is one of the later red heads where the coils are mounted down across the top of the reed cage plan on getting longer bolts for the brackets. When I put mine on the new bolts that come in the vForce kit are too short. They only grab maybe 2 threads which promptly sheared when I tried to tighten everything up. Thankfully the holes are open tapped through the back and I went to Home Cheapo and got longer bolts which passed clean out the back and grabbed all the thread that was left.

Should there be a gap in the reeds or should they be completely shut? I'm running carbontech.

ok so can someone that has bought carbon tech tell me if that price is for 1 or for all 3? I'm thinking of replacing mine simply because they are 15 yrs old...

They are for all of them. The first # in the part number is the number of cylinders. The rest is model number.
Example:
235LT and 335LT. Both are the same reeds. One kit is for a twin(235LT) and the other is for a triple (335LT).
And I have bought many sets.
Look at the first # for a V-Max4.
http://www.carbontech.com/snow/yamaha.html

Last edited:
Should there be a gap in the reeds or should they be completely shut? I'm running carbontech.
There should be ZERO gap. I know that the Carbontech reeds are manufactured with a very very slight arc in them. It isn't even noticeable when your holding them. Seeings how they are black in color, place them on a white piece of paper to distinguish which way the arc is. Install them w/ the arc up. That way the tips of them are always tight.

It's like anything! If you gots lots of money spend it but, it depends on what you want to do with that motor. Are you racing? Are you hill climbing? Are you just driving? Yamaha put together really great motors I personally can't see much improvement in some add on's which cost us but to each his own.We generally won't see the slight improvement in everyday driving.

Back