SX Viper bars & riser

Motodeficient

Currently have a 2.5" RSI 30' angle riser on my viper with the stock bars rotated upward.

Looking to ditch that setup and go with a pivot riser setup with RSI steel flat bar... I'm thinking I should be ok with a 5" riser without extending any cables? That would but me at just under 6" total rise which is about what I have now with the 2.5" riser and I think the stock bars have about 4" of rise when rotated up.

I'm ok with the height of the bars with the setup like it is, but when the stock bars are rotated up, they have too much upsweep.

Thoughts?

One other question- Do aftermarket grip heaters work ok with the handwarmer rheostat control on our sleds?

You might find that to be a little short but I'm not sure what the height difference is from the foot well to the top of the steering post on a mtn max vs viper. I have a rsi t post adapter with 5" risers and 3.5" rise fly mini bend bars. I found my mtn max oil cable to be longer than any others I bought that I was told were longer and have a viper mtn throttle cable in the slot in the air box. I'm 6' and the bars are a tad short standing on flat ground but when the sled is on an angle and your leaning into it they are perfect.

I have a brand new set of fatbars that would work well and give some rise also, but kind of wanted to stick with steel bars for better handwarmer performance. I also really was trying to avoid spending too much on longer cables. I'm assuming you would need to bleed the brake system after swapping out the brake cable?

The brake has to be bled but it's not too hard. At that length forget about your parking brake, the cable is too short and there are no aftermarket cables available. I would recommend getting creative with your cable routing as I didn't like the added pull of the aftermarket cable. What year is your viper? The last few years they got the new bar controls and had a single cable vs dual to the flipper

aftermarket bars are wider and that takes up more cable than you think. Id just get some longer cables and brake. im running the rsi stuff without issue. 8-10 inch total rise is perfect imo. im 6'2" running 10" (previously ran 12" but waaay to high)

Do the aftermarket grip heaters (RSI, etc) work ok with the rheostat heater control?

They do but I can't honestly say how well. My sled doesn't have enough output at idle to warm up the aluminum bars and keep the heat. Typical mountain sled doesn't stay revved up very long. The way the rsi heaters are built they mimic the low-medium-high of a Polaris heater. They have a smaller and larger element and a common ground. You wire the 2 elements together then the ground to ground.

Best bang for buck and comfort is apex bar mod. Did this to both my Vipers. For a 03 look for the 06 apex bars with the removable hooks. They work perfect for the 03 controls and wired in a series are hotttttt! I first wired them parrell and they were way too hot. I used all powermadd risers. T post and I believe 6inch riser. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...-go-144-quot/page12?highlight=Pair+Vipers+144. Here is the write up on them. This is for my 04. But same principal just use 06 bars. Make sure u use 03 MTN viper oil, throttle cable. Choke is on dash and will be fine. Also brake line, easy change.

Thanks, I will look into that. So the 04+ viper is different than the 03 as far as handlebar setup?

So I should be looking for a set of used 06 Apex bars with grips and heaters? I don't need anything else from the Apex? Bar pad maybe? Is specifically the 06 apex I should look for, not 07, etc? If so, why?

This guy seems to have a bunch of 06+ bars from Mountain Apex, but doesn't specify exact years. I can ask him, but are the mountain bars the same?

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/f-s-tons-of-06-apex-mtn-parts.141896/

He did post a picture (see below)

Then a pivot post adapter with powermadd riser, mountain viper oil, throttle cables, and mountain viper brake cable? Or aftermarket brake cable?

Does anyone know the part number for the mount viper oil cable? I wasn't sure from looking at the parts diagram.

Attachments

• NCM_1038.JPG
    NCM_1038.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I must be looking at the wrong cable but the parts diagram seem to indicate the same oil cable for the 03 vipers and 03 mountain vipers

Throttle CABLE, THROTTLE 1 (8EN1)
8EN-26311-00-00
Oil pump cable
PUMP CABLE ASSY
8EN-26320-00-00

Brake. HOSE, BRAKE 1 (8EN1)
8EN-25872-00-00

Thanks so much!

That oil cable part number is the same part number on the parts diagram as the regular SX Viper oil cable. So I wonder if they switched the regular viper over to that part number along the way, or I already have that installed on my sled from the factory?

I ended up ordering RSI bars with integrated hooks. Now I'm worried, will I be able to slide my throttle block, switches, etc over the hooks?

No that's why you have to use the bars with removable hooks. I know guys have heated and ground AB bit to get to fit but I didn't like the idea of weakening the block

Back