2001 Venture 500 Speedo not working how to remove insert in drive shaft?

I've got a stuck one on a Vmax that I haven't tackled yet, so yeah, I'll give this a whirl. I don't have a 90 degree drill like yours, though, so I may have some trouble on the drilling part. Maybe I can borrow one...

I've got a stuck one on a Vmax that I haven't tackled yet, so yeah, I'll give this a whirl. I don't have a 90 degree drill like yours, though, so I may have some trouble on the drilling part. Maybe I can borrow one...

I haven't done mine yet and like you do not have a right angle drill. I'm thinking about going the route of drilling a 1/2 hole in the belly pan directly accross from the shaft and using a drill bit extension then put a rubber plug in the 1/2 when done. Another thought I have is since I have a vast collection of the 1/4 drive stuff, including drill bits I was also thinking about using something like this: www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-4-in-Hex-Offset-Drive-Adapter-48-32-2100/100097677 or this which looks a little more heavy duty: https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-22-8510-Right-Angle-Attachment/dp/B000BYEJ02

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank Johnny G again for sharing his fantastic idea! I was finally able to get at and with the help of this thread a job I figured was going involve removing the shaft from the machine turned into an about 1 hour job! I picked up a right angle drill adapter from HD, some 1/4" drive drill bits from HF, using the 1/8" bit first and then the 13/64" I proceeded to drill out the insert and tapped it for a 1/4 24 machine screw, used a 1/4" drive 3/8 socket for the sleeve (*note I had to drill the hole out in the socket so the screw would go thru it), put it all together on the shaft and about 6-8 turns on the 7/16 nut it popped out! Installed the new insert, new speedo drive I now have a working speedo again! IMG_1120.jpgIMG_1121.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1123.jpg

Hi SR433 I'm so glad my post was able to help you get your speedo fixed I know it bugged the hell out of me not knowing how fast I was going and how many miles I was riding.

Back