2001 Venture 500 Speedo not working how to remove insert in drive shaft?

JohnnyG383

Hi in a bit of a bind and any help in how to remove the speedo insert in the drive shaft. I bought the sled with the speedo not working and last owner said he replaced the cluster due to it was frozen but the speedo key was also broken and I could not get the oil parts out of the insert on the drive shaft so I drilled it but need to get it to put the new part in and I screwed a self tapper in and been trying to pull on it with vice grips but it will not budge is there and method to this madness? IMG_7618.jpgIMG_7620.jpgIMG_7621.jpgIMG_7622.jpg

I have used a small drill bit to get broken square pin out ----not sure what you have going on with that screw in there.... try a small drill bit very slowly and it may snag the broken spedo drive enough to pull it out---then spray contact cleaner in there and dry it out then use grease on the new spedo drive to help prevent water from getting in...Tod

I'm beyond using the piece in the drive shaft that is why I need info on how to remove the piece the screw is in. I have a new insert that goes into the driveshaft I have a picture of it in the bag I need to know how you get that out.

yes that is what im trying to say....use a small drill bit to try to get ahold of it to pull it out.....maybe im not following you.... you can see your new one its a wound steel material and sometimes you can snag it with a small drill bit...Tod

ok-gotcha-I thought you still had some old driver insert stuck inside there--- not sure about changing that without changing the entire shaft--- have you looked on ronnies michrofish to see if it is even a replaceable part

I guess never realized there was actually an insert pressed into the driveshaft that the speedo key fits into; Makes sense. I always just thought the driveshaft was broached for the key.... Uh anyway... If you can get that screw to bite... You may be able to get a reverse slide hammer to pull that out. (you might get lucky) You are prob looking at drilling and tapping that insert and actually thread a screw in and use the reverse slide. Unfortunately I don't see that happening while it's in the sled. My guess is its going to have to be pricely drilled out, or combination of heat and tapping for a screw. Let us know how it goes!

Hi guys here are some more pictures of the insert part that goes into the driveshaft. I have tired using the screw in the oil part and putting vice grips on it and using a pry bar to get it out with no luck. I do not see anyway to get a slide hammer in there with the plastic side on. Any other ideas would be a great help I could put it back together and have no speedo but I really like to have it working and see how many miles I log on trips. IMG_7623.jpgIMG_7624.jpgIMG_7626.jpg

Last edited:
You could cut a hole in the belly pan with a hole saw and use one of those factory rubber plugs. Or get a new axle w/drivers.

I have one I can't get as well. I have applied heat, Kroil, used various contraptions to hammer out on it including using a long screw and plate with an air hammer. I am going to pull the shaft and work on it on the bench. Should have done this in the first place.

Let me know how you make out before I removed the driveshaft I wanted to tap it out and use a bolt and washer and a socket and try to pull it out that way. But I do not have everything I need here with me to do that so I will have to wait till next weekend. Take some pictures if you could of the process of getting it out and what way it goes in to the driveshaft.

Update I came up with an idea to remove the speedo cable insert in the driveshaft and had it worked perfect no removing of shaft. Here are some pictures. IMG_7662.jpgIMG_7663.jpgIMG_7665.jpgIMG_7664.jpg

Last edited:
Update I came up with an idea to remove the speedo cable insert in the driveshaft and had it worked perfect no removing of shaft. Here are some pictures. View attachment 62568View attachment 62569

Wow great idea! We have a sx here needing same and ive always taken shaft out. So you just drilled out end best you could and threaded a bolt into it the used the socket as the hup and tightened bolt which pulled out key! Nice!

Kinda like you said but not exactly. I drilled the center using small bits and going one size up till I got to a 17/64 size drill bit then I tapped threads into the speedo insert 8m1.25 Tap and that was not a bolt it was a threaded rod. I screwed that into the speedo insert I was only able to make not too many threads in the insert just enough then put a 15mm socket over the threaded rod and used washers and nut and screwed the nut till it pulled the insert out of the driveshaft. When I installed the threaded rod I used the double nut and tightened them so I could screw it into the speedo insert pretty tight. and it did the trick. New speedo drive insert just gets tapped into the driveshaft with a hammer and I used wheel bearing grease inside there so it wouldn't rust up and keep the water out. You do have to remove the secondary clutch but that's simple.

THANK YOU! - What a great idea! I have a 2001 Venture with the exact same problem. I gave up on it last year and rode without the speedo, only a couple trips around the Houghton Lake, MI area so not many miles that should make any difference.

As this repair would work on most any Yamaha of this style and vintage making this post a sticky is another great idea! ;)!

Back