install a Edge 136 (not a 121 with extensions) in a 06 Rage

EdgeMan

Im looking for mount locations to install a Edge 136 in a Rage. The rear mounts are further back than a 121.How much is the question? I do not have the donor sled to go off of. Any help is appreciated.

Put the two side by side on the floor front rail tips hitting the wall and measure were the old rear mounts were bolted to were the longer skid will be bolted.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have the skid in and the initial testing is that it works nice. it is a significant change in ride. Now the weather here needs to get back to winter so we can really test it. I will post the results and measurements then.

We test drove the sled for a couple hours, the test riders weighing from 160 to 235 lbs. There was 4 of us taking turns riding, we all notice a big ride change and liked it a lot. Much smoother, more responsive and handled the terrain much nicer. This was in comparison to the stock suspension that was in it. I did have the shocks rebuilt and valved for 275 lb. person in full gear.
We built the initial skid mounting plates out of ¼” aluminum. We did this because aluminum is much easier to work with than other metals, but not strong enough in my opinion to be permanent. Also the stock Yamaha suspension is ½” wider in the front mount than the 136 Edge suspension that was put in the sled. I think steel would work just fine, but I had the option of stainless steel available to us so I used that. Over kill on strength but looks nice and no rust or paint. The rivets that we used were steel, shear strength was much higher with steel than aluminum.

We started by using the JB Shock Edge Skid Mounting diagram (http://www.jbshocks.com/edgemount.JPG). We used the 5 3/8 down from the top of the tunnel and 8 9/16 from the flat side of the drive axel for the front mount hole. We made a plate that was 5” wide x 4 ¼ “ tall x ¼”. We drilled 3/8” front mount hole in the center. We riveted in the 4 corners. Simple and easy.

The rear mount wasn’t as simple the mounting bracket extend below the foot rails by about 1 1/2”. The moutning bracket plate size is 5”x7”x 1/4”. Our mount location was 27 3/8 from the center of the front mount hole to the center of rear mount hole and it is 6 ¾” down from the top of the tunnel. This gave us a 1” higher rear bumper, which put a little more weight forward helping the turning of the sled. We used the same basic mounting pattern that was on the stock drop down brackets which need to be removed, 4 rivets 2 -3/8”x 1” bolts with lock nuts. The track clearance to the tunnel was increased slightly as well.

We are planning a couple short runs of about 30-50 miles to see how things work and check for any issues. Then we are headed out of a couple hundred mile trek, hopefully. I will update as necessary. At this point it is a worth while investment, many people have done this with the 121 Edge skid and liked the performance of the skid. Definitely a upgrade from stock Yamaha skid that was in it, durability and performance.

Back