Mountain Max Ignition Wiring

FalconFlier

Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the Forum so please bear with me if I violate any posting rules in gleaning information from you experts out there. I hope this is the correct location to get technical information on my sleds for a "gearhead" like myself.

I have a 1997 MM 600 and a 1998 MM 700 triple (redheads). I have just gone through both of these sleds and replaced everything that was worn but both sleds have under 2,000 miles on them and are in mint condition.

The question I have regards how to hook up the coil wires as I forgot to label them as I dismantled and cleaned the engine. There are two wires coming out of the wiring harness - one an orange wire with black dashes (female connector) and the other is a black wire with white dashes (male connector). Each of the coils has two wires - one a solid black wire and the other a black wire with a white tracer. I have a Yamaha factory manual but the wiring diagram section isn't real clear as to how to go about hooking up these wires so I'm turning to you folks for help.

Any instructions on getting them correctly re-connected so I can start these engines and get proper ignition to each cylinder? Thanks to all in advance.

Ted

It's super simple on your triple. It's probably simular on your 600.
Orange is your power (you probably know that)
It powers all the coils in SERIES then back to ground ( black wire)
That's it! All three spark plugs fire every 120 degrees of crank rotation. It's almost fool proof!

Attachments

• DSC_3446.jpg
    DSC_3446.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Due to wire length coming out of the harness and #3 coil being closest, do I connect the orange power wire to the black/white tracer wire and the short black wire from the harness to the solid black wire coming from the #3 coil as well? That being the case, how, then, do I feed power to the other two coils for cylinders #2 & #1? They each have a solid black wire and a black/white tracer wire coming out of the back. Thanks for the wiring diagram, BTW!

Ted

Daisy chain the coil wires male to female, 1st coil wire to harness then that coils other wire to 2nd coil (again male to female) then 2nd to 3rd, then 3rd back to harness, hope this explains it - think three batteries in series, negative to positive.

Back