99 zr 600 no head light kill switch and runs rough....

hessracing

Wow I know this much I will never own a cat working on my father inlaws and they are garbage! I have a different one of his sleds that I'm trying to get going and this one runs awful! It has new plugs new plug caps and clean carbs! idles nice but under a load seems to run on one cylinder, now for the electrical portion no head light, dash lights, key doesn't work nor does the kill switch! everything is hooked up too! i had to pull a plug wire to kill it last night and only one of them help!!

These sleds have about 10 ground wires that must be grounded or all sorts or weird stuff happens, is this EFI? I am trying to think where to look, on the mag cover I think there are about 4. My guess is a bad ground somewhere and I believe the ground wires are brown. I have a 94 Wildcat 700EFI and I bought it non running and half apart. We had a bad winter so I had alot of time to stick in it and I sure did. Same thing, ran on 1 cyl and all sorts of weird stuff, my problem was 1 bad ground, sometimes the headlight would work and sometimes not and turn on the hand warmers and the brake light would go on, stuff like that. Find a wiring diagram and check and clean all grounds. You will get it. I got mine going and it's a blast! I do have an SRX700 though which blows the wildcat away easily. You have corrosion somewhere or a broken/missing wire. I think there is a 6 prong plug behind the dash that corrodes too.

So I got all my grounds cleaned up I have head lights! now the kill switch and key work when they want to and they are hooked up correctly clean connections it starts and idles good but once it warms up seems to be really rich and it runs terrible i'm thinking there is a coil or stator issue

Is it EFI? Wouldn't hurt to ohm out the stator and coils. Usually the work or don't at all. I am pretty sure the plugs fire at the same time so they have a wasted spark, maybe ohm out the key switch and tether and handlebar switch. Don't wory, you have the SRX to tow it if needed!

Hahah I actually have 3 of his zr 600's at my house right now that he asked me to get going so any time one breaks down I tow it with the utility ones for towing so far I only have one going good ;). The machine is not an EFI. All 3 are carburated one of them that is not running is missing a carburetor (was supposed to be a parts machine) but everything else is there. I'm thinking about taking the carbs off of this one that I'm having electrical problems (too frustrated to mess with it anymore) and trying to get that one going now they are only a year apart ones a 98 and ones a 99. The 98 has individual carbs and the 99 has a carb rack can I just switch out the carbs and try and run the 99 carbs in the 98? I think i will have to change the air box throttle cable fuel pump and it should work the blocks and everything else look the same. I cant find anything on the net about anyone doing it I don't see why you couldn't?

Glad to hear things are a little better, maybe pull the whole harness from the donar sled and put it on the one your trying to get going. I always thought the ZR's were EFI? Hmmm? Still a Suzuki motor. They run great when they are good. The new arctic cats run Yamaha motors, very ironic. I think from 2014 and up. I hope you get it going because those are alot of fun? Decent power too, won't beat any SRX's but still fun. You can probably tell that I am not loyal to any brand but do like the Yami's, I like them all.

Little trick I found on Cat's wiggle the throttle lever while its running. They have a Tors in the throttle lever that is junk. If th0e idle changes you have the problem.

Back