ss440 Poor running

rich

h Hello, just picked up a 84 ss440. Removed and cleaned the tank, air box and carb. Installed a new in tank filter. Pilot jet is a 90, main is a 155, air screw is backed out 1 1/2 turns. Sled will start up in 3 pulls cold with full choke. Use the choke to keep it running. I am able to run it on the stand but the more it runs the worse off the bottom it gets. Runs great in the middle and through the top end. Have to bump the choke a little to get the rpms to come up. I removed the carb again as I thought the pilot circuit must be plugged. Did not find anything, replaced the carb and started again. Same issue. The longer it runs the worse the issue and by bumping the choke after its warm now makes it flood out. I installed a ground strap from the recoil to the motor mount bolt, changed fuel pumps, all with no change. Any ideas? Thanks , Rich.

Last edited:

Ok thanks. I have checked the seal behind the clutch and that one seemed ok. Also both cylinders have 120 lbs of compression. Thanks, Rich.

Good to know on the seal. Looks like I will be ordering a set of seals. Thanks, Rich.

Back