2017 Vk540

greengrizz

Has anyone heard of the 2017 model vk540 blowing engines because they are running to lean. I haven't bought the extended warranty. But I still can if this is true. This info was posted on another site.

Noticed in the owners manual yamaha recommends a 50:1 oil/gasoline mixture when the air temp is below -25C or -13F.Could explain the motor failues if no oil was added to the fuel in extreme cold conditions.

Just noticing this thread now. I have the new 2017 VK and and when I had it back to the dealership for the 500km service the technition dropped the needle in the carb and changed the pilot jets. He told me that they are doing it as a precaution because the factory setup is causing the engine to run lean in the mid-range. Yamaha currently hasn't issued a bulletin about this possible issue but a few of the dealerships are lobbying the company to create one as a precaution. Hope this helps!

Hi Viper Jim, tks for the info. Would u have the phone number for your dealer. Im getting ready to bring mine in for its first service and I will get my dealer to call yours and have the same thing done. I appreciate your help. Thanks Rick

Will definitely be checking this out with my dealer as well. I have a 2017 VK 540 and haven't had any issues with the engine or carb yet, but I will look into it.

My biggest beef with this machine is the suspension. My wife and I cannot ride on this thing together, it bottoms out all the time on every little bump. We are by no means giants. I have adjusted the springs and shock to the max, and it still won't hold up. I've talked with a few other owners over the last couple years, and everyone says the same thing.

Even the sales rep at the dealer said the same thing and said they have installed the cam block kits to help. After paying nearly $13,000.00 for a machine that's advertised as a 2-up, I think it's nuts that you would have to go and buy a $200.00 plus kit and installation costs to fix the problem.

I contacted Yamaha Canada, and they said they were unaware of any issues or bulletins on it, and they weren't aware of any kit. So, I emailed them back and even provided them with the Yamaha part numbers, but so far I haven't gotten a response, big surprise. Why would they make the kit if there was no issue in the 1st place ???

Does anyone else have the same issue, and have any of you contacted Yamaha directly ?????

I have a neighbour who just baught a 2020 vk540. He did need to tighten up his rear so to stop it from bottoming out when he and his wife ride together. But since doing that adjustment it's been fine. Maybe the 2020 have updated stronger springs?

Just noticing this thread now. I have the new 2017 VK and and when I had it back to the dealership for the 500km service the technition dropped the needle in the carb and changed the pilot jets. He told me that they are doing it as a precaution because the factory setup is causing the engine to run lean in the mid-range.

Just for clarity for other folks (I'm not trying to be an a** and hope it don't come across that way), he would've dropped the clip / RAISED the needle to richen up the mid range circuit. Lowering the needle will make it leaner.
It is common and easy to mix up the phrase dropping the needle vs. dropping the clip.

Back