Mountain Viper bogs continue... a few ideas and needing advice

Bronc_twister

Still haven't cured this on my '03 SXViper Mtn. and I'm starting to wonder if it is entirely curable. It has painted Bender triple pipes on it and an Opticool head gasket. Last season I taped off and siliconed off all underhood vents that allowed the engine to take in warm air, added two big Flo-Rites into the dash and two smaller ones as well, and took out the shelf in the middle of the airbox. I'm still getting snow on my airbox foam so I'm currently once again trying to seal off around the fairings, headlight, etc. I have noticed a couple of things and have an idea or two.

1. The airbox has what looks to be two small factory holes in the front of the airbox that I'm gonna seal off. I've also been thinking about adding a vent hose (or hoses) to the back of the airbox and running them up into my handlebars for extra air. Is this a good idea and anything to look out for?
2. I can see where the fairings on both sides would leak in snow, moisture, etc. and am either gonna lay some thin rubber or foam weather stripping between them and the hood, or clear silicone the inner and/or outer edges. Same with the Ram-Air block offs... besides silicone on them, foam behind them maybe. I did find this season that up and to the side of the headlights there are areas to block off.
3. A prefilter of some sort over the factory filter foam? Something like the flo rite material that is waterproof but lets air through.
4. Make a bigger exhaust/snow deflector? Mine has the factory one but the pipes still get backed up I believe. I've read that Arctic made one for like the King Cat that was better.
5. Sell it and get something else. I like the sled and ain't ready to give up yet but wow did Yamaha sure screwed the pooch on these. I almost wish I'd of went Mountain Max, or M7 or M8, or Rev 800. It seems that the powder bog isn't totally curable from what I've read.

I'll look into that...

Check your fuel filters,they may of come off the hose in the tank(Rolling around blocking up the inlet).

But I doubt that is the issue. It runs good on the trail... it just when snow starts coming over the hood and/or carving and/or sidehilling into the pipes.

The pre-filter is a good idea - I bought one from Outerwear I think. Or you can just make one. The material mine is made of doesn't let water through (at least not very much).

The exhaust deflector is huge for bogging. I like the metal ones myself.

I would post some pics if you can - it sounds like you have more bogging than is normal.

Thanks Ding

I'll look into a prefilter. I'm guessing they go over and the air box foam? It has the factory delfector with the big hole in the middle. My plug readings look good but I think it's fat on the idle and then I have a lean bog at higher elevations I usually ride in (from idle to just pinning the throttle to the bars, gotta feather it a bit from a standstill). Were you ever able to get rid of the powder bog?

Last edited:
Interesting....

I wonder if two of those would be enough for triple or if I would need 3. I might have to look into these a bit more.

One thing I forgot to mention that I found a big difference with. Make sure your exhaust exit is sealed and doesn't let exhaust gas back in the underhood area. When riding in deep snow the exhaust will go right back into the hood area and starve the intake of oxygen if allowed to. Sealing it off forces the exhaust to blow the snow out of the way. This happens even with a good deflector. btw which deflector do you have? (sorry if you already mentioned above)

The pre-filter I have was a Outerwears product. It is form fitting with elastic around the edged which fits snugly over the intake flange. I don't know if you can still get it or not but the material is still widely used so you could easily make one.

Post some pics so we know what it all looks like that you are talking about.

It has the factory deflector on it. There is a good seal around the stinger/mufflers at the belly pan. My phone is either done for or needs fixed so probably won't be posting any pics for a couple days. The more I try and fix the underhood air to the airbox and snow leaking around the fairings, headlights, windshield, etc... the more I get disgusted. One roll over on the mountain and I'll most likely be having to get another dash, fairings, and windshield to basically start all over again (with the exception of the 4 underhood to airbox vents that probably would be fine) on a piss poor design. I was looking at a 95 VMax Mountain Max that was given to me and it was a better thought out design than this. Basically with the Viper, they took a sled designed for trail riding; put a longer track under it, took the swaybar off, blocked the ram air induction, raised the bars a bit, gave it a mountain strap, put Deep Snow Special decals on it, and called it a mountain sled.

I dont know about where all the vipers can get air into the intake from, I havent had any bog problems with my 02mm since I blocked all airbox holes that could intake underhood air and screened my hood vents. I have 4 florites in the dash, stock filter, drilled airbox...

I wonder if two of those would be enough for triple or if I would need 3. I might have to look into these a bit more.

It might be worth a call to slp to see what they think. I'm not sure if they are meant to be positioned for a direct pass across the air box into the carb/throttle body or just to let in x amount of air based on square inch of opening. They sell these things for the 800 twins and even the 850 doo I believe. They are all the same size from what I have researched. In theory the 700 has less air volume moving through it than any 800 so I would think it should be fine.

2017-02-06 10.44.12.jpg2017-02-06 10.44.21.jpg
Here's what mine looks like, stock was just the foam gap all the way across and the underhood air. i had my entire dash covered multiple times the other week when I was out and this still leaves plenty of flow. I do try to wipe it off before it could ice up over all my intakes.

Mine does the same thing. I have every single hole covered. Mine only bogs when the exaust is in the powder. If I tip the sled on the left side, it will go forever. I do believe it is going back to stock exaust. I can't drive 1800 miles to have a sled not run.
It acts as if there is not enough pressure coming out of three individual pipes to push past the snow. I wonder if the tripples that go into "1" silencer have this problem.

Last edited:
biggest difference I made was when I built a larger exhaust deflector, also had flo-rites? in dash intakes

A friend of mine has a piped Viper that did not have the "bog" in the powder. The only difference between his and mine is that he did the air box mod.

What do u guys make your exhaust deflectors out of, any pictures?

There should be pics if you do a search but I would buy a car tip like a chrome one for a Honda or something that is at least I in larger that the original weld a flange or washer to the top with another for the rivets too bite into.Attatch to body of sled letting it hang down 3 in from body pointing back.

Back