2002 SRX Starting Issue

miller91579

Have an issue with my 02 SRX. Last day of an 8 day trip I go to load up the sled into the trailer. On the 3rd or 4th pull the recoil locks up and won't pull out more than 6". It does wind back up.

I did take the recoil off and everything moves just fine, as long as it's not attached to the sled. Not sure where to go next.

Any help would be appreciated, if you have questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Try turning the motor over by hand slowly, using the clutch. Does it turn over multiple times without issue ? In both directions ?

This would scare me .....

EDIT: Just noticed your location, I'm in Hartford right now for work....... small world

Last edited:
That is bad. You have internal damage somewhere. Best bet would be to pull top end off the get a closer look.

Because this happened when starting, or when you shut it off last, the damage may be minimal.

Yea, that's the plan for tonight after the kids go to bed. Hoping your right that it's minimal. When I get into it, I'll post an update. It seemed odd that it happened after a couple of pulls when trying to start it.

And yea, small world!

I agree, I've never heard of blowing a motor while pulling it over lol.

Keep us updated, but I'd think this may be a blessing in disguise. Could have happened at 8500 rpm.

Good luck

My cousin had that happen on a skidoo when we were on a trip. The sled fired then did the same thing where you could move it back and forth a little bit. Turned out junk got stuck in the float needle and the crankcase filled with gas. Bent rod was the end result. This all happened in the 20 minutes we were in a bar. Hope that's not what happened here but you definitely have something going on.

sounds like its hydro locked, pull the spark plugs out of it, turn ign switch to Off and pull it see if it will shoot gas about 8 ft high......... report back and will advise further.

if infact this sled is flooded, you will have to completely go through carbs, needle/ seats, o-rings, float height etc. than add a fuel shut off. been there done that with my 02. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Ok, put the recoil back on, pulled the plugs out, turned ignition off, pulled hard enough to lift the sled off the ground, no change. The rope comes out about 6" and won't go further. No gas shooting out of the cylinders. Next step?

Started loosing bolts on the cylinder head and the gas came flowing out. Is there a decent way to drain the gas besides letting it flow out of the top end?

Try removing the carb rack and reeds which you have to do regardless, instead of pulling the cyl apart and having to the replace the coolant also.

then there should be gas all over the floor from it coming out the exhaust if its so full theres gas coming out of the heads.... when you took all 3 sparkplugs out, you didn't shine a light in the hole?? if so, , all 3 are filled with gas?

..as the each piston is 120 degrees apart so the exhaust port would be open and the gas would fill up exhaust system and run on floor.

Sorry my dumb*** said gas, that was incorrect (coolant is correct). Inside the cylinders are dry from what I can see with a flashlight.

Sorry my dumb*** said gas, that was incorrect (coolant is correct). Inside the cylinders are dry from what I can see with a flashlight.

ok, no problem....lol , that woulda been ALOT of gas to do that.

anyways, theres a drainbolt on the top of the waterpump cover, its a silver headed bolt with a copper sealing washer, be right in between the mag and center cylinder on front of engine. At this point its would be much easier to see whats going on by taking off the triple pipes, then you can use like a old butter bowl to catch the coolant.

have not seen you reply yet from couple days ago, but once you get the heads off and inspect, if looks "ok" in all 3 cylinders your next step is to take off the airbox, then the carb rack. Then remove the reed blocks, this will gain you access to see inside the back of the engine case. If something like a broken piston skirt or even hyd flooding it will be able to be seen in there. If its flooded, you could use a small hose inserted in the engine thru reed cage opening down into the case via the crank split and siphon it out using a mityvac tool.

Back