Head Gasket - How thin is too thin

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
Getting ready to re-assemble my 600 twin, I was running the thinner head gasket on 91 octane.
Its a Cometic gasket and measures .25mm. It comes in the kit C4021.
Anyway, I have since made the decision to use 91 octane plus at least 20 Oz. of Torco everytime I fill gas.
What do you recommend ? Keep in mind, I maybe burn 3 to 4 tanks of gas all winter, and will always be carrying a couple cans of Torco with me.
Its currently ported, and will soon be adding twin pipes.
My compression was at 128 PSI with the .25mm Cometic.

Thank you ! and I know that, But that's not the point for this build. ;)!

I make 128PSI with a .25 head gasket
Anyone know what thickness it would take to get to around 145PSI ?
Fuel quality is not a concern.

Thank you ! and I know that, But that's not the point for this build. ;)!

I make 128PSI with a .25 head gasket
Anyone know what thickness it would take to get to around 145PSI ?
Fuel quality is not a concern.

FWIW on my 700 redhead removing the middle layer in my headgaskets brought the thickness from 0.7mm to 0.46mm
Compression pressure went from 120 -122- 121 psi, to 127- 130- 128 psi.

Last edited:
2001 SXR with one layer removed. I have 150 psi across all 3 cylinders. 120's seems low.

And still it impressed my budy who rides a low mileage 2012 Ski doo Renegade 800 E-teck . When he drove my old Venture his exact words were " Holly crap! This thing is more responsive the my Renegade!" :)

Last edited:
Time for rings if your only at 128 w/ a .25mm head gasket.
Mine is a be-otch to pull over w/ the .6mm h/g.

Mind you, the 128 was after the motor busted off a skirt becuse cylinders had been honed too may times, had lots of blow by ....
Cylinders are now at US Chrome being replated.

Last edited:
Just wondering what is the stock compression on a 2000 venture 700 (redhead) also thinking of doing the head gasket mod sled is running at 125psi on all three!

Just wondering what is the stock compression on a 2000 venture 700 (redhead) also thinking of doing the head gasket mod sled is running at 125psi on all three!

That's about right. Ironically I also have a 2000 venture 700.......I gain about 5 psi across all three after removing the middle layer of my headgaskets.

5psi gain did you notice much power difference?

With all honestly, I did thin head gasket, Reed stopper notch mod, Apex helix, removed battery, starter and ring gear, rebuilt both my clutchs, also added home made transfer rods....basically all at once.

Last edited:
With all honestly, I did thin head gasket, Reed stopper notch mod, Apex helix, removed battery, starter and ring gear, rebuilt both my clutchs, also added home made transfer rods....basically all at once.

when you installed the apex helix did you adjust the secondary any different than the stock setting?

The stock 70 twist works great . I'm currently running 80 for the little extra hard hitting acceleration

Last edited:

Back