VK540 chaincase issuses

Brocklee327

I picked up a vk540 2 for 200 bucks and the only thing wrong with it is I couldn't get it into reverse. I adjusted the shift linkage, moving the secondary to check engagement with no luck so I pulled the case and using vise grips on the shifter found reverse intermittently, so I decide to take the case apart to check the gears. What a god awful idea that was. Anyways it's pulled apart with half of the transmission shafts on the case cover and half on the case side. I belive in order to put it back together I need to pull them off the case side. Ive been trying all night to get the shafts off the cover or put it together like that. Are the shafts pressed into the cover? And is there a trick or a manaul page anybody has to post on this?

I got it today. Had to beat it a little harder. Snap ring that retained a gear on the countershaft broke and the gear slide over so the shift dogs weren't reaching. Lucky I caught it because it was starting to eat away at the case cover, that was the grinding I heard.

That was an awesome deal on a VK. I want one if I ever came across one. Your lucky you saved the chain case. A replacement one would run you big $$$ if you could even find one. It really makes or breaks it on those 2 speed utility sleds, chain case condition

Back