Viper compression, miles, and possibly looking at a top end soon

Bronc_twister

What are the stock compression test #'s for the SXViper? Mine has Bender pipes and an OptiKool head gasket and I believe I've read that the OptiKool is thicker than the stock gasket and drops the compression a bit. Mine tested 102 on the PTO cylinder, 125 center, 125 magneto. I know they staggered the compression on them but how much?

The tech tested it I dunno how many times and then asked me how many actual miles are on it. I told him well the guy I bought it from said 2100 miles but the odometer read 3600 and I told the seller and he said no it has 2100 miles, the original unit burnt up and we put a used one it that read higher miles and you can't reset them. I put around 550 miles on it last year and have only put around 115 miles on it so far this year. The tech told me I should probably do a top end sometime in the future and that when piping the triples, they usually did top ends right around 2000 miles.

Good read on compression:
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php/104063-Compression-for-an-02-viper

Opticool head gasket has been discussed on here quite a bit, thickness difference is in the link in the link above, and you could search in the SRX/Viper forum for more info on the opticool.

If you want to keep your engine in top condition, your tech is right on the money, especially with triple pipes and not really knowing the history for the first 2k+ miles. For a stock engine, 3k-4k miles is usually a pretty good number for a top end inspection and new rings, it's good preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

Back