My First V-Max 4

phazernut

Well it took me 21 years of wanting one. Finally found one a couple of weeks ago. All Stock 96 with 7700km on it. Love the sound of that quad. My young fella in my Avitar now rides the Viper. Long way from the Sno Scoot

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21

That sled came from the West Coast. It was laid up for a few years. The guy who finally bought it got it for a song. I missed out on it by a few days. It has changed hands a few times since. Nice sled.

Congrats on that find,too bad were getting one rain soaked of a winter here the past month.Heres a Forum that will come in handy http://www.vmax4.com/content.php? Only ever saw one Vmax 4 in my life and that was 1996 in the old yamaha dealer before you got to avalon ford.There rare as hens teeth;)!

Last edited:
Be careful....they are addictive! Enjoy that V4. Pull the white collars/tabs from the airboxes if you haven't already.

The collars get brittle with age, then the tabs will break off. If you are lucky they will hang a carb open, set off the TORS (if it isn't bypassed and you will find the problem. If you aren't lucky and one breaks on a WOT run it can/will get ingested into the crankcase destroying parts in the process. Broken piston, bent rod, junked cylinder, head crankcase.

Potentially catastrophic. I bought one that broke a piston bad enough that the rod shoved a big piece of it back through the reed cage, bent the rod, broke out the bottom of the case and still ran. The guy limped in home on 3 but ended up wreaking the adjoining cylinder because it was ingesting debris thrown into the airbox from the fist one's coming apart.

Break the tabs off, leave the white tube/collar in. The airbox boot's clamp will hold the collar in and it will run fine.

opsled

Yeah.... what opsled said. Lol. In all seriousness, get rid of them. Big problems will arise someday if you don't. Enjoy the Vmax4. Still nothing else like them.

Back