Sx viper or srx against sidewinder???

my 2002 srx been 5.74 on grass. thats very good but not very great. i saw a sidewinder do this right out of the box just studded. end of that story, oh and this was 500 f.t. on a good tight track. out on the lake in the winter, you will get ice belted with your piped viper. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I ran my newly built pro stock SRX against a new TCat with impressive results on 660' snow. I really seemed to pull away in the mid range but having said that, my SRX is far from trail form, and presumably the TCat was outta the box.....not apples to apples comparison by any means. No doubt in a 1000' race the results would be different.

The new turbo technology is awesome. Pretty tough for 2 stroke trail rigs to run anywhere close to these...

We seen one last yr at a snow drag we went to and for it being bone stock it was not very impressive at all, all the stock 800s had no problems beating it in a drag race to 500'

Hi there just wanted to let you know that here in sioux lookout on I have been to a few radar runs this year and this is what I have seen for myself. Guys here have all brands of sleds that they claim to be the fastest. There are two sidewinder here town of about 4500 people. Every time the sidewinder races an 800 etec. Or any other sled new and old it looses. Last weekend here a 1991 Mach 780 beat all brands including sidewinder Thundercats as well as other same cc sleds. I myself don't race but I think that all the noise about the sidewinder is propaganda. ... not sure but this is what I have seen

I love my 2 strokes. But what comes to mind when I read this thread is: Why not compare displacement? It seems like the new (old norm) is to disregard displacement in comparing machines. As we probably all know, it's a ploy to market more expensive machines, that have higher maintenance costs....win win for the manufacturers.

The Sidewinder looks cool, but Yamaha knowingly is trying steer the market rather then listen to demand. KTM understands the market in the dirt bike world. They've just put r & d into their 2 strokes and now the new rave in dirt bikes is EFI 2 strokes. They are following the market as a manufacture should.

If Yamaha were to put out a similar displacement 2 stroke, then this would be a more interesting discussion.

As for SXViper-x's question that started this, it's a great question. Can a smaller displacement, non turboed, 20 something year older machine, compete with a Sidewinder?

Back