Sx viper or srx against sidewinder???

sxviper-s

Has any one run a srx or a moded sx viper against the new sidewinder??? Like to know the outcome. Or details. I would have thought this would have been a hot topic.

Even a CPR pipped viper would only get ya about 165 hp in perfect conditions. It would have to be one modded srx or viper to come close. a sidewinder is over 200hp out of the box. Not even a discussion who would win as evidence by lack of discussion.

put a NHRA parachute on the bumper of the sidewinder with a remote deployment button and you might have a chance. My SRX VS a 14 Apex is close on a good day.

I would love to here from people who have actually run one against the other. I have run against a old Rx1 with a 300hp turbo several years ago. I always beat him out of the hole and up to about 90 mph. He drove past me after that. I have never lost a race up against an apex. Not even a chance!!! I Run against my friend all the time with mock Z 1000. He gets one in a half sled lengths on me in the mid range all the time. But can not pull away beyond that.

What is the weight of the sidewinder? Power to weight is an important factor here. Viper approximately weighs 530lb I believe.

Keep in mind my sled is not stock. I guess it to be approximately 160hp. Completely trail friendly. But I have to assume it weighs much less than a sidewinder.

I have yet to ride another sled that compares. I have road nitro in the past as well as apex and was left wondering, where is the rest. Completely disappointed by comparison. Keep in mind they were in stock trim.

no one seems to no or wants to tell what the weight of a sidewinder is. I've searched online and asked 2 dealers already, one dealer had no clue, the other one knew what the weight was but wouldn't say.

Anyone got a pic of the a$$ end of a Sidewinder?

If so could you post it so he can see what the race will look like from the saddle of his hot rod Viper.

opsled

Power to weight ratio.
Sx Viper 530lb. 165hp. Power to weight is 3.21hp per pound.

Sidewinder 582lb. 200hp. Power to weight is 2.91hp per pound. Sidewinder on the low side.

Looks like they would be close on paper. This doesn't take the tork figures into account.
This is why I asked for actual experiences.

Last edited:
Power to weight ratio.
Sx Viper 530lb. 165hp. Power to weight is 3.21hp per pound.

Sidewinder 582lb. 200hp. Power to weight is 2.91hp per pound. Sidewinder on the low side.

Looks like they would be close on paper. This doesn't take the tork figures into account.
This is why I asked for actual experiences.

Dude your math is way wrong.

Using your #'s

Viper at 165hp, 530 lbs = 0.3113207547 hp per lb

Sidewinder at 200hp, 582lbs = 0.3436426117 hp per lb

I doubt your trailable Viper will spin a dyno to 165hp and your 530lb # is probably light unless it's dry.

The Sidewinder has been dynoed at around 220hp so your 200# is also probably light. I don't know how heavy they are but the 03 RX1 was about 560 dry. I can't believe the new Sidewinder is heavier so that 582 # must be wet.

You'll get smoked (bad) if you try a Sidewinder.

(At least this is how it looks on paper) lol

opsled

I stand corrected. My math was incorrect.

And by the way. This is not per say about my sx viper.

But any srx or viper out there. It was a general question
I thought the die hard 2 stroke guys would be all over this.
It is the ultimate challenge, 2 stroke VS 4 stroke and no one has any actual experience.

I was also referring to suspensions, handling differences, power, ride and comfort.

And by no means am I bashing 4 strokes. If ever there was a 4 stoke out there that I personally would consider purchasing. It would be the sidewinder. It only took them 12 years to come up with it.

And actual weight of the sx viper dry is. Dry Weight (lbs/kg)‎: ‎499 / 226.4‎ and that rounds up to .3306613226 hp per pound. Lol.

Last edited:
And actual weight of the sx viper dry is. Dry Weight (lbs/kg)‎: ‎499 / 226.4‎ and that rounds up to .3306613226 hp per pound. Lol.

Which still leaves you wanting in the math department when compared to a 200hp 582lb Sidewinder.

Listen I understand your question of interest in seeing or hearing thoughts on a head to head between a big horse two stroke and the Sidewinder. I don't think there is a lot of other interest because the answer is known. The biggest, baddest two stroke ever built is going to need untrailable mods to it in order to keep up with a stock Sidewinder in any sort of race if both chassis are setup for the same race. The only exception to this would be a boosted two stroke. With the right engine 200+ reliable HP can be had in a two stroke just as it's been done with the 4 stroke Sidewinder. The 4 stroke will always have a longer/sronger torque curve when HP #'s are equal which will give it the advantage in most race situations.

Trailable naturally asperated two stokes won't have a chance unless something is wrong with the 200hp boosted 4 stroke.

As far as the weight factor you are talking about. It only really matters much out of the hole. The faster you go the less it plays into the equasion. Aero weight is the controling factor at speed. Wind is VERY!! heavy and it's weight compounds with speed. Because of the chassis design on the Sidewinder it may have a dissadvantage in this arena.

opsled

well, I have experience with the SRX 700 and viper 700's and New Sidewinders .......sorry guys in stock trim on a winder it may be a little close on the bottom end but the 2 strokes don't have it ...we clutched the winder , saw huge gains in 500 ft with our clutching over stock ....this is at the 210 hp stock tune ....now with a can and reflash at just about 260 hp yeah not going there ... The new etec 850 ran with the winder stock to about 60 mph in stock trim after the tune not a chance hop to weight ratios only get you so far ............Don't for get Torque ...is how hp is figured ..........torque does the work hp sustains it

They have taked about it on the 4 stroke side. 150hp sounds like it rings a bell. I also remember reading that they will be using this in the new sxs for either cat or yamaha. So im sure its comming down the road as a vector/phazer replacement engine in the pro cross chassis.

Back