96 Phazer tuning help

JGRIZZ

Hello Everyone,

New member to the forum. I recently purchased a 96 Phazer II with a bender pipe. The sled does not run like it should, seems very bogged down. I rode my buddies 89 stocker and it seemed faster.

the guy just had the carbs cleaned by a local dealer. I'm wondering if they did something wrong. I plan on tearing into the carbs tonight and checking it out.

I also checked out the belt and clutch springs. looks like the primary is the stock red blue red spring & the secondary has a brown mark on it. Don't know what primary

weights are in it yet. belt seemed fine what is the wear limit on it? Also did a compression check before I bought it. both were 130 psi.

Any help getting it tuned in would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Check the little rubber plugs in the fuel bowl. One should be in the middle hole, and one should be covering the pilot jet.

Also check the jetting, someone could have just slapped that pipe on there without the proper jetting.

Wow, what a difference temperature makes(mid 20's). Took it out for a ride this past weekend and it ran good. Still needs some tweaking though. Going to pull the carbs when I get time and find out the jet sizes. Anyone have Clutching suggestions? I was told to run a Gold yellow Gold Yamaha primary spring. Thanks.

for the bender/aaen i like to use the white/yellow/white with 2 shims stock weight set up secondary stock helix and spring set in A-2 for trail riding this set up also works well with the PSI Pro pipe for the Phazer

for the bender/aaen i like to use the white/yellow/white with 2 shims stock weight set up secondary stock helix and spring set in A-2 for trail riding this set up also works well with the PSI Pro pipe for the Phazer

Thanks for the info. Whats the advantage with this primary set up vs just using the Gold Yellow Gold spring?

How thick are the 2 shims you recommend ? Yamaha Part?

shims are .020'' thick part # 90201-483p9 from yamaha difference mainly is spring rate the yellow/white/yellow is a little stiffer rate which changes the shift pattern

shims help bring the engagement up

shims are .020'' thick part # 90201-483p9 from yamaha difference mainly is spring rate the yellow/white/yellow is a little stiffer rate which changes the shift pattern

shims help bring the engagement up

Thank you for the explanation. Just double checking, This set up is for the newer 96 clutches correct?

Getting to be that time of year again !! Looking for some additional bolt on mods for my 96 Phazer. right now motor is stock with a bender pipe.

Would VMax 600 carbs and reeds be worth doing? If so, whats needed to do the conversion and what reeds are best? thank you.

if you want to keep the oil injection you will need a vmax 540 or EX570 oil injection cable and throttle block from matching sled that the carbs came from plus the choke cables and throttle cable to match ....reed boysen reeds are a nice upgrade or a set of stock yamaha reeds and cages from a 97 or newer 5-600 twin with the fiber reeds jetting will be determined on what year carbs you use and what the sled wants

if you want to keep the oil injection you will need a vmax 540 or EX570 oil injection cable and throttle block from matching sled that the carbs came from plus the choke cables and throttle cable to match ....reed boysen reeds are a nice upgrade or a set of stock yamaha reeds and cages from a 97 or newer 5-600 twin with the fiber reeds jetting will be determined on what year carbs you use and what the sled wants

Are the carbs worth doing? I'm looking at a set from a 94 vmax 600. Go with the 2 stage reeds? Thanks for the help.

Back