Lost spark on 2 cyl, 96 800

ac auto

I accidentally started my 96 800 with 2 plug wires of on the recoil side coil and noticed it sounded bad, lifted the hood replaced the wires on the spark pugs but still dead? changed plugs, no change, swapped coil from my 94 750, still no change?, tested for spark; no spark? plugs and coil from my 800 work fine on the 750. I have to assume it is in the stater/pick up, which I have spare from a 95 800. 3 questions; first are the staters compatible from a 95 800 to a 96 800 and second, is it possible that running it with the 2 plug wires off, somehow damaged the stater? and third, could I have damaged the CDI box and are those compatible. Thanks.

Parts are compatable. All 3 years of 800 production used the same ignition.

Not sure what could have gone south.

opsled

tbe 800,s were all the same. and the external coils were the same on the 750/800 as well. stator, cdi , wiring harness all different. i say yes, no and no on your questions. but i might be wrong. 3;16x (yammie tony)

Sled is fixed, finally had a chance to look at it again. Started again from step one with the Yamaha ignition tests. Found I plugged in a wire to the 3/4 coil to the card switch wire. Turned out I lost a coil as I originally thought. Just wanted to close out the thread, thanks for all the help guys!

Back