Will top end rebuild get me back on the trail

fordboy67

Hi all, new to the site, longtime Yamaha owner. My 96 Vmax 600 developed low compression in one cylender. My questions are, if I do a top end with new pistons, rings, pins and bearings, how can I tell if there is low end trouble? Also, will replacing top end restore compression. The sled has 4500 miles and I have owned it since new with no issues until now, hate to have to think about replacing my baby.

I know that feeling ! Had mine since new as well.
I have had mine burn down several times, mostly because of a lean condition.
Once you pull off your cylinder head, you will see what needs to be replaced in the top end.
As far as the bottom end goes, that will be tough to determine without taking it apart.
In my opinion, if the the motor wasn't starved of oil, the crank should be OK, as long as both crank seals are still OK.

Thanks for the reply. How can I tell if the crank seals are ok? Sorry if it seems like dumb questions, this is my first attempt at tearing into a 2 cycle, that's why I ride Yamaha!

Well, I have heard that you can check them by spraying carb and choke cleaner on the seals while it's running. If the
Rpm changes, then you may have a leak. Or if it appears they are leaking oil is also a pretty good sign.
You can also do a leak down test (check the tech pages on how to do) that will tell you for sure, but its kind of a pain in the butt, but also the most sure fire way to tell.

Check big end bearings by up and down play in the rods; seals by leak down test. That's about as far as you can go without splitting the cases.

Everything appears good and tight. Cylinder and head are at machine shop, waiting for parts. Quite the learning experience. Lot of good info on this forum, thanks all!

Back