High beams to run...

sleddineinar

VIP Member
OK here's my head scratcher. I got a 98 700sx, it's got the 2001 electronics, so 300w & twin headlights. My last ride it started running funny. I stopped in the trail to clear a down tree, shut it off, then restarted it and then the tachometer was dead and even though it idled fine, it wouldn't rev & engage. So I thought I'd let it sit while I walked the rest of the trail... about 1/2 mile, to check for more down trees. When I got back I fired it up again and the tach was dead of a few secs and then it started to work. I took off and rode back out to the lake, I stopped to take a picture and shut the sled off again. When I started it again the tach was dead again, and didn't come back on, I noticed that my headlight was not on, so I hit the high beam switch and everything popped on, hit the high beam switch again everything went dead. So it runs with the high beams on, but not with them off... I rode home with the high beams on, and when I tried turning the high beams off it sputtered and wouldn't run. I should also mention that my hand warmers and thumb warmers have been sporadic and the light has been flashing codes for the warmers. So is this bad wiring or something else?
IMG_0657.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

Did you by chance use a high beam switch from the newer (300W) setup ? I know there are two different ones.
One with 2 wires, and one with three.
I think the 2 wire switch is from the newer style and the 3 wire is the old.
Not positive on that.

I've had this sled set up like this for 3 years and this is the first time I've had this problem. I don't think I changed the high beam switch through. So it would be the same one that was on there.

Sounds almost like you may have a bad ground in the harness somewhere then or maybe a wire
Has gotten wore through somewhere? If you haven't changed anything, you would almost have to assume
It's a stator issue, or more likely, wiring.
Just some ideas, maybe someone else can chime in.

Pretty much what I thought, just want to make sure It's not something simple and I'm not chasing my tail. Good thing I rerouted the harness over the magneto so I don't have to mess with pulling it out from under the motor.

OKEY DOKEY, I've got the main harness out and have been looking it over for rub-thrus. So far I haven't found anything. But I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and I'm wondering if it could be the headlight relay switch... Is there a way to test it?

OK, I bought a relay from someone on TY. when I get it, I'll give it a try. I put the wiring harness back into the sled over the weekend. I noticed a second yellow wire coming out of the HI/LO plug on the switch side, the wire just ended in a fuse holder, the other half of the fuse holder is gone. I was wondering if anybody knew when would have wired in there...

Was it the relay that fixed this issue? I have the same exact problem on my 97 sx700 so before I dig into the harness would like to rule some things out

My SRX did the same thing. My headlight switch was bad. It caused the load relay to shut down the ignition system. Disconnect the hi/low beam switch and see if everything else works

Back