Brake Disk seized to Drive shaft. Help?

getrad

I am trying to access the drivechain housing to change out gears on my 1994 Vmax 600, but cannot get the brake disk off of the drive shaft. I have tried penetrating oil, heating the components with a heat gun, and a three jaw puller... without success. Any ideas to get the brake disk off the drive shaft??

I had this happen twice, I tried everything, I ended up cutting a slot in the hub to take the pressure off of it, after I got it off I welded up the slot.

Maybie remove carbs and unbolt sec clutch and bearing and take the whole shaft out. I have beat it off with a long shaft/hammer and some heat before.

youll never get enough heat with a heat gun, you need a small gas torch with map gas. You can get it at any home depot or hardware store, its about twice as hot as propane,. heat up center of it then squirt penetrating oil in there, repeat till it breaks loose, heat is your friend. When you put back together sand shaft lightly and inside of hub, then smear a small amount of anti seize on it, wont ever do that again to you.

The 94 should have a two piece secondary shaft with a splined coupler behind the chaincase. The stubshaft your brake rotor is on should pull right out of the chaincase with the cover if not for the chain linking the shaft to the bottom gear.

I would try taking all the cover bolts off, then try to move the cover with top shaft out far enough to get a wrench in to remove the bottom gear retaining bolt. If you can do that the cover, shaft, gears and chain should come off all at the same time.

You should then be able to get the rotor off the shaft in a press. That rotor should float on that shaft so make sure everything is cleaned up good and use antisieze on the shaft when reassembling.

opsled

I finally got around to getting my brake disc removed. I took opsleds advice and just removed the entire chaincase with the brake rotor in place. Once it was out I was able remove just the brake disc, then an impact wrench and a three jaw puller got the hub off. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back