New to TY (and snowmobiling) looking for guidance 98 or 99 Srx 700

MassSledder

Hi guys just want to start by saying hello and new to riding besides my father's sleds as a kid. Now I'm about to be 33, married with two kids. Found a little gem on C.L for $800.00 and pulled the trigger. The P.O told me it is a 99 srx 700. Top end was rebuilt, has been sitting for a couple years, front heat exchanger is bypassed,(how I don't know) and the carbs will need to be gone through. When I picked her up she turned over and fired up ran a little rough but in the truck we went for $600. Got it home on Sunday, did a little putting around the yard to see if it moved. Well... it did, but would not go over 20 mph and only revd to 6k.Coolant tank was empty so first trip to dealer here we come. Filled it up, circled the house with the girls twice and put her away. Not knowing anything about snowmobiles or 2 strokes really I found you guys and here we go... did some research, obviously not enough .. pulled the air box and saw a little coolant in it. Ignoring that all together I took the carbs out and cleaned the jets (hopefully correctly) and . moved along to the power valves and that's where I messed up. 1+2 went smooth. Cleaned all the black and crusty moved onto 3 and she was stuck pretty good. When I got it unglued the cable moved the servo(? ) which I didn't disconnect, mark, or set when I started. I tent to just go balls out head on and dig myself a huge hole to climb out of. My questions are is there a way to open the valves without turning the rpms down to 900 then hitting kill switch - which is disabled/ cut. No clue what to do. Also the P.O said its a 99 but the sticker says 9/98. Which is right- I'm going with the sticker but needed clarification. Should I reinstall the carbs and see how she does? All the snow near me is virtually gone so I'm not chomping at the bit to get tracks down. . I'm sure this is going to be a great summer project for me to get her dialed in for next season hopefully! Thanks in advance for all the help guys! I'm sure I'll need alot of it! If this turns into a build thread please feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong spot. When I figure out how to load up pictures I'll do that asap. I have a video of it trying to move around the yard which I'll also try to get up on here.

While you have the carbs out might want to remove the reeds and have a look at them, as well as the piston skirts and tops.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There's a white triangle shaped plug that comes off the wiring harness on the left side of the sled,sitting on it. It's located behind the airbox off the frame the steering post bolts to and there should be a cover on the plug to keep debris out of it. Make yourself an electrical cord of a power and ground wires with alligator clips on one end to clamp to a battery and small blade connectors on the other ends to plug into the power (red I believe ) and the ground ( black or brown if memory serves me ). You can also put a toggle switch inline of one of the wires so you can shut off the power once you have the servo open.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys I will check and do all of the above....don't want to roast anything worse than what's there. Today's project turned into front brakes on two vheicles. Safety first! Will check back with updates and more questions :o|

Is the front heat exchanger still there? I wouldn't want to run it without.
AFAIK it is still there with a hole in it. Haven't seen where or how bad it is. Needs repairing or replacing. How bad is it to run without it hooked up?? There looks like a radiator hose coming from under the engine that is cut. Kind-of in middle of clutches area. I'm not sure if it's in a spot to weld yet or not. I haven't had a chance to dig into her that deep. Luckily my father just retired from 30+ years of aircraft welding... hope he's not sick of aluminum just yet.

It's a pain in the *** to remove the front exchanger, you pretty much have to remove everything from the sled. If you can, just weld it and get it hooked back up, I'd be worried about it overheating.

You don't want to ride it with the HX by-passed. Become a TY member and you'll have access to the shop manual for your sled - it'll answer your questions (including the PV question FB answered).

Most here will recommend fixing the HX in the sled (it's a PITA to remove). This may include hanging the sled on end. Follow necessary pre-welding drying/cleaning procedures.

Welcome!

IMAG1573_1.jpg Here is my first triple ;)! I didn't think it was all that bad. Slowly starting to get to go through the bay where I can reach anyway...dirty as sin and needs a good cleaning, Have to start somewhere, Took off the pipes and found a big mouse nest. Pretty sure it has a Bender can on it (covered in oil).On the engine what looks to be the oil pump (possibly) is saturated. Not too sure why the picture is reversed lol. More info on posting pics/video are required on my next search, my eyes hurt from reading and all this info is starting to blend together.:shock:

Be carful making your own harness for the power valve servo.

I fried a CDI box a number of years ago with a make shift harness.

Luckily my local Yamaha dealer sold me a factory harness to energize the servo.

Back