Full choke all the time when starting ?

SilverCruzer

Hi there,

New member to the forum and have a question for you VMax owners. I just bought a used 2003 VMax 600E and was wondering do you need to give it
full choke every time you do a cold start or would half choke work ?
Thanks.

In my experience, it seems the colder the weather the more full choke is beneficial. Mild weather seems to barely require half choke on my sled. That said, every machine is different.

Last edited:
I know on my Vmax (600 twin) and SXr (700 trip), both like full choke on startup at pretty much any temp. I know with the triples, if they are hard to start, instead of killing the machine with the key or kill switch, put it on full choke (this will stall it) and it makes it a lot easier to cold start next time.

I know on my Vmax (600 twin) and SXr (700 trip), both like full choke on startup at pretty much any temp. I know with the triples, if they are hard to start, instead of killing the machine with the key or kill switch, put it on full choke (this will stall it) and it makes it a lot easier to cold start next time.

Good to know. Also, how long do you let it warm up on a cold start, before riding ?

That really depends on outside temp, if its 0*C to -15*C Ill usually warm up for about 5min, -15*c or colder usually around 10min. Im sure youll get a lot of different opinions on this, but Ive always done this and I have never had a sled blow up or fail on me. Although Ive only ever bought Yamahas, so that could be the reason! haha
One thing I will add, while they are warming up I will go over and blip the throttle every once and a while, just to stop the engine from loading up.

Good tip on the using choke to kill making next cold start easier. I will have to try that next winter!

Back