Needle Jet Size Question

ALLFUN112

Hello,,, After more reading,,I have a concern on the rack of carbs I put on my 02 MM700 motor for the buggy.

The specs I have found for the 02 mm700 carbs say :: #1 Q8 #2-3 Q4 Needle Jet

I put a set of like new 03 SX Viper carbs on it.They have all new mains and pilots put in,,but I never looked at the needle size or position or needle jet size.

Both say position 3 for needle ,,but cant find any #'s for what size the needles are in the 03-04 SX Viper. The spec charts don't list it???

Would like to know what the 03-04 SX Viper came with and is there a size # stamped on them??

Also is the stock size (02 MM700 ) needle what I should use in this motor ,,with the mods it has ??

Thanks to all that help on this!!!!!!!

PS..

I did find part #'s for Needles.The 02 MM700 shows a stock one and a optional one for cyl. #1 and one choose for cyl 2-3
The 02 SX Viper only shows one for all three cyl.s and it has a different part #,,so I would think I have to change what in the rack now.

Last edited:

I did find some interesting charts:::: http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/carb/mikunineedle.html

Also found multiple articles on the understanding of the Needles and sizes.

Answered most of my own questions,,But still need recommendation on the following::

Still would like to know which ones I should be using for my 02 MM700 motor with the mods I have,,,and if they should be different for cyl,#1 and cyl #2-3 or one size all across ?? And does anyone know what series # the needles would be ????

I did find that the 02 SX Viper used P8's all across,,so I am sure I need to change whats in this rack I have,,,But to what,,,That is the Question

PS..

Will be running this motor in 50-80 degree temps and at about 1100' elevation !!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Much !!!! Q8's all across ??? and what did you mean by ( h3ll ) ??

Start with # 3 position ???

Thanks Again

Last edited:
H, E double toothpicks. I'd certainly start off with them. Beings that we don't know what kind of engine temps we'll be looking at. Changing nozzles are just a bit easier than a rebuild.

Last edited:
I am sorry,,,You lost me on H, E double toothpicks,,,,

LOL,,Got it now,,,guess i wasn't awake enough when I read that,,,me bad!!!

Last edited:
How about finding a grass drag or asphalt redhead setup?

I think that would be some Great info to find,,something to maybe have a base line then.I am going to talk to a owner of a near-by dealership next week..Hope to get some ideas from him too.. He's out of town for abit.

Been hoping to hear from mrviper700,,sent a PM to him ,,,but no response yet.

I think this is a area that Members don't want to say anything on,,because if it is wrong info,,,there goes the motor !!!!!!!!!

I have my starting set-up for the clutching figured out,,, I may just run this rack of carbs ,with the P-8's and set the needles rich,,,then watch it really close..

I would bet I can work with the P-8's and get it dialed in,,,and yet I may be way off on my thinking to..time will tell.

Will keep looking around the web for info,,,And try to find some engine builders to talk to.. Thanks Much for your ideas!!

Last edited:
Update:::

I have found most of the info I need to make my set-up on these carb parts.

Talked with afew builders and dealer techs.

Thanks Much to ( A couple of bucks ) for chiming in on this !!!!

Last edited:
Here's what I have in my Trail Mod 700 SX[Red Head engine same as MM700]

Bender triple pipes
Ported
Gutted Airbox
Boost bottle
1500 feet ASL

33mm carbs
main jets 155s
needles 6DGM05
needle jets Q4s
needle clip 4 - 41/2 - 4