norwegian

Hi
My venture with this set up overshifts.

40-10 Heelclickers with white spring
44/38 dalton helix
about 4 grams in heel
about 4 grams in tip.

Green yamaha secondary spring @50 deg.

It behaves very good until 50-60 mph, then it overrevs and then it falls flat on its face.
So where do I begin?

Also tried the same set up @60 wrap. Still it lost rpm.
Tried also the same set up with 39 deg straight helix and 60 wrap, overrevs to 8000 then falls back to 7800. Can also lose rpm

It overrevs and tries to backshift at high rpm, I get a dip, and then full rpm again. Someone help!

Not yet, I just thought 70 with e green is maybe too much, but maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

I tried @70, felt like a little too much at low speeds, behaves pretty good at high speeds, but still gears down when holding over 7000 rpm.

Yeah, but this has puzzled me. Spesific to my ride.. I mean your suggestion sounds right, but looking at the power curve, the power is "all" in the 6800-7800 range, so I thought I rather place that on the tip? Am I missing something?
Thanks for the link btw, it looks like someone just copied that off TY. The thing is, this is a vt500, there is no known set up for it. For all I know, I might just have the best HC set up for it out there, lol.
Sorry to hear about your winter, that sucks.

However I have learned something.
With Heelclickers, ditch the red dot secondary spring, it feels like a rubber band. By this I mean that there is difference in rpm between when it is engaged, till something actually happens.
The green does everything better, slow trail riding, towing, touring. It does not let the secondary to shift too much out when load is applied.

BTW, dupont sliders work awesome, in hard conditions I had the sled all the way up to 140 km/h (87 mph) on the speedo. According to the gearing calculator, the theoretical top speed is about 90 mph.

I really don't know what to do as for now. The set up works very very good for touring and the sled gets as good mpg as it can I guess, 9,5 mpg. With this sled, 90% of the time riding is done on trails below 50 mph (80 km/h). Looks like I might have to invest in another helix, say 45/40 for this sled, the end angle of 38 is too shallow for this sled for some reason. I actually think people would be much happier with their Vt 500's if they had a similar set up.

Last edited:
Still overshifted but I need a 40 or 41 helix. Still, it did no less than 90 mph on the speedo, which is 1:1 ratio according to the gearing calculator. It works real well.

I am pretty sure that the Speedo is off somewhat North of 10%. I have seen 101 mph on our "98" xtc 500 a couple of times on dream conditions and regularly see 96. It is geared down two on top to 20/39. With my gearing I should not be able to get anywhere near that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's still pretty fast, the speedometers of other sleds show too much as well.

I am pretty sure that the Speedo is off somewhat North of 10%. I have seen 101 mph on our "98" xtc 500 a couple of times on dream conditions and regularly see 96. It is geared down two on top to 20/39. With my gearing I should not be able to get anywhere near that.

In my case I've repeatedly gps my 700 Venture and compared it to my speedo. And it's very close! 141km/ h on speedo is 139 kms/ h on my gps.

I saw 96 on Speedo one year at a club radar run and only registered 87 on gun. One model to the next could easily be different. Don't mean to sidetrack this thread.

Hi Norwegian was just checking in with you on how you made out with your clutching? I have a 2001 VT500F and I can't stand the way the stock clutching is on this sled I'm really good with engines and carbs but when It comes to clutching and gearing a sled I'm like a deer in the headlights. What I can tell you is the sled for a 2 up revs way to much a low speed to get moving and to ride trails at slower speeds is not fun. Last season I put a new Yamaha belt on it but other than that I have no clue with clutching. and what to do to fix my problem.

I got a 41 degree helix for that sled now. We'll see.

Hi Johnny,
A bit more info mite help others point you in the right direction. What Rpm does your snowmobile start moving at?
What speed is slow speed and what rpms are you running when you are driving slow?

Last edited:
Hi Norwegian was just checking in with you on how you made out with your clutching? I have a 2001 VT500F and I can't stand the way the stock clutching is on this sled I'm really good with engines and carbs but when It comes to clutching and gearing a sled I'm like a deer in the headlights. What I can tell you is the sled for a 2 up revs way to much a low speed to get moving and to ride trails at slower speeds is not fun. Last season I put a new Yamaha belt on it but other than that I have no clue with clutching. and what to do to fix my problem.

the 2-up 500 ventures where geared down so realistically if it gets close to 75 mph that might be all she has. you could clean your clutches to remove belt dust and check all the ramps and bushings for wear as that affects how they act/perform. it might also need a new primary spring as they get weak over time and cause performance issues.

Back