Venture-480 ( 1991-2000 ) Hydraulic brake conversion... ?

Lasse

Hi !

I'm in need of some ideas of how to do an Hydraulic Brake Conversion to an ( 1991-2000 ) Venture-480 with "REVERSE" gear box.
("Pogo"-stick chassi )
Brake disc is on the outside of the gear case !

:2strokes: :2strokes:

DSC011566666.jpg

DSC011588888.jpg

DSC011555555.jpg

DSC011577777.jpg

DSC01164444444444444444444444.jpg

DSC01154444.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01157.jpg
    DSC01157.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

i have thought about doing this to my et410 with the same chaincase. the master cylinder and brake light switch can come from any sled. the caliper from the front of a motorcycle will probably work the best as the rotors are similar thickness. i would go with a single piston caliper in the 9-10 oclock position with the piston over the exhaust for clearance. then i would fabricate a bracket to mount the caliper to the existing brake system bracket location.

i helped a buddy do this on an old skidoo he was setting up for ice drags. we used an xt 350 caliper and pads on the stock rotor with a master and like from a formula plus he had hanging around for parts. i would have to go through my stuff and see if that caliper would have the bleeder screw in the right position for that sled.

I have thought about doing this to my Enticer 410-II with the same chaincase.
The problem with this brake modification is that the brake disc is mounted on the outside of the chaincase,
and there is lack of space sideways.
DSC01550 moddad.jpg

Last edited:
that is why i suggested a bike caliper with the piston out over the exhaust in around the 10:00 position on the rotor.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/TBcAAOSwqU5Zw-3e/s-l225.jpg.

they have more clearance than most sled calipers i have seen in how they are made. it looks like you need one from the right front on a banshee from the pics i have seen. once you have it mocked in place, you then fabricate a peice of steel that connects on its mounting area to the origional mount point for the cable brake. run line, bleed and hook up brake switch on bars.

I suggest to use a bike caliper with the piston out over the exhaust in around the 10:00 position on the rotor.
They have more clearance than most sled calipers I have seen in how they are made.
It looks like you need one from the right front from a banshee from the pics I have seen.
Once you have it mocked in place, you then fabricate a peice of steel that connects on its mounting area to the origional mount point for the cable brake.
Run line, bleed and hook up brake switch on bars.
Here in Sweden it's impossible to get a Banshee caliper since it not sells here.
I have looked at a Polaris RMK "PRO" caliper because of its small compact size.

Your thoughts on this ?

2011-Polaris-Pro-RMK-800-Brake-Caliper-2204139-_57.jpg
2012-Polaris-600-RMK-Brake-Caliper-Full-Asm.jpg
2012-Polaris-600-RMK-Brake-Caliper-Full-Asm-_57.jpg
2012-Polaris-600-RMK-Brake-Caliper-Full-Asm-_57ft61.jpg

Last edited:
Mounting bracket... ?

I now have got a Polaris RMK "PRO" hydaulic brake caliper and have started to look how to mount it on the Venture gearcase.
I will have to shift the brake disc around to make it accept the brake caliper.
It is very limited with space and there is actually only one position where the brake caliper can be mounted.

:confused: Please share your ideas how to make a mounting bracket. :confused:

DSC02011 förminskad.jpg

DSC02013 förminskad.jpg

DSC02012 förminskad.jpg

DSC02016 förminskad.jpg

Last edited:
I have done conversions on Vmax 4 and used SX-R or SRX brake parts and line and handlebar controls. Trick is making a parking brake that works.

I have some calipers and controls from some SX and SRX. You would have to make your own mount plate. I might even have a few disks if you wanted to concert to a bigger disk.

I have done conversions on V-Max 4 and used SX-R or SRX brake parts and line and handlebar controls.
Trick is making a parking brake that works.
I have some calipers and controls from some SX and SRX.
You would have to make your own mount plate.
I might even have a few disks if you wanted to convert to a bigger disc.
;)! Thanx for your offer, but I'm in Sweden.
Parking brake is no problem, Im already have got the brake master cylinder from an Ski-Doo XP and the brake caliper from an Polaris RMK "PRO".
Problem for me is the very limited space since the sled have Reverse gearbox.

Did this for TSS Vmax 92-96.
Same concept may work on other sleds.
https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/88900-Hyd-Brake-conversion-for-Vmax-500-600-Vmax-4
opsled
;)!
Problem for me is the very limited space since the sled have Reverse gearbox.

Back