02 vmax 600 deluxe gear lube leak

Yamaouch08

VIP Member
hello,I noticed a gear lube puddle under the wifes sled,it's coming out of the chain case side out of the little drain hole underneath the chain case. I couldn't find where it was coming from so removed the chain case cover thinking it might be the gasket,well the gasket looks fine and undamaged...could it be leaking some where else? or should I just put a new rubber seal on it and hope it fixes it? or could it have been over filled? because I checked the dip stick and said the level was fine. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Did you check whether the bolt holding the lower gear had come through the chaincase cover? Happened on my MM.

Did you check whether the bolt holding the lower gear had come through the chaincase cover? Happened on my MM.

yes I did..no holes in the cover, Ive checked everything I can think of found oil spots in my trailer so must have been leaking all season although chaincase wasn't low on gear lube. im stumped

Maybe your dipstick wasn't totally in place and you tipped the sled on its' side?

Weird, sounds like something is cracked in some odd way or a seal has let go? I guess you inspected the chain-case and the cover itself too?

Maybe you have to line up everything with a cotton cloth and tape to see where it comes from.

I couldn't see that with a pc, can you show this from hlsm? Thanks

Last edited:
well,I replaced the rubber gasket on the chain case and it still is leaking. I put gear oil in the case and waited about an hour and went and checked it and it has gear oil underneath the chain case. I didn't even run the sled,so it leaks just sitting there. only thing I can think of is that maybe theres a crack in the bottom of the case somewhere :o|

Back