Vmax 540 not wanting to start .. help needed

furg69

Hey guys. I just picked up a (manufacturer date 89) 1990 vmax 540. First off I drained the tank put all fresh gas. Cleaned the carbs and made sure the fuel was reaching them, pipes nice and clear, Compression checked at 120 psi each side and spark looks great.But the sled just doesn't want to start. I can manage to get it going after 20 hauls and run but I have to leave the throttle at about 1/4 and you can tell the engine isn't running smooth, its cerrainy not making any powe.. My question is could it possibly be a timing issue ? Or what else should I look for ?

Hey guys. I just picked up a (manufacturer date 89) 1990 vmax 540. First off I drained the tank put all fresh gas. Cleaned the carbs and made sure the fuel was reaching them, pipes nice and clear, Compression checked at 120 psi each side and spark looks great.But the sled just doesn't want to start. I can manage to get it going after 20 hauls and run but I have to leave the throttle at about 1/4 and you can tell the engine isn't running smooth, its cerrainy not making any powe.. My question is could it possibly be a timing issue ? Or what else should I look for ?

Do you have new plugs? and will it stay running with choke or will that make it worse?

Just had the same problem on a 92 Venture. Turned out to be the ignition coil. Not sure if it was the actual coil itself as the resistance readings were good but it fired right up and runs perfectly after swapping it out. I suspect it may have been a break where the coil connected to the wiring harness.

Really hard starting and running rough can also be a sign that your crank seals seals are toast.

Back