Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain case bearing and seal

Brethren,

Super has you on the right track. The pictures in post #6 looks correct to me. I posted the link again below. The chaincase metal will shorten bearing left if open to oil.
    http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/s...e+bearing+seal

Also Mr Viper has a good explanation from 2007.

mrviper700

by leaving both seals on the bearing it will fail sooner then later, the small amount of grease that comes in them wont make it as long. It will become hard and wad up between the bearings and then starve the bearing for lube, same exact way the idler wheels will do without any care given to them each season.The reason the seal is off on the inside is to allow the puddle of oil that will accumulate between the outside chaincase(closest to the jackshaft and driveshaft)seal and the space in betweeen to lube the bearing, there is a extra seal on the upper and lower shafts to shield the outside snow/dirt on back of chaincase. This is why both your jackshaft and driveshaft have a special spacer on them with a o-ring seal and this spacer resides in the inner seals both upper and lower. The seal on the chainside obviously keeps the large metal peices from chaincase from contaminating the bearing. If you spin a bearing in oil when its bone dry the rotation from the bearing will draw some oil thru past the seal, the small area in between the chaincase inner seal and the bearing width to chaincase side bearing seal is what will keep the bearing alive and lubed with chaincase lube.
    Last edited by Mac; 05-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Most of my drinking buddies got riding problems.
    Snowmobiling..... the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Two years ago I disassembled my Ventures chaincase to change my track and bearings too. My sled still had its original track and bearings at the time. To my surprise both my chaincase bearings seals on the track side where removed, and on the chain side the seals were still in place. It makes sense that it prevents all the metallic crap from contaminating the bearings. Though even after Mr viper explanation, i still can't see how oil reaches the bearings, but it clearly does.
    Last edited by Vincent; 05-22-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Senior Member Open Mod

this post drove me nuts the more i read it. i blew two chaincase on my srx. one on ice and one on grass. now than i through a good used chaincases on my sled both times . both times the bearing were exposed to the fluid in case. now am i wrong, who the hell knows. i guess you go with what will work best . 3:16x (yammie tony)
    WELCOME TO YAMAHA HEAVEN / WINTER THUNDER/ VMAX4 800 5.91 e.t.
    1995 VMAX 800- FASTEST YAMAHA EVER RUN AT THE AMERICAN SNOWMOBILER MAG SHOOTOUT. 105.16 mph
    2000 SRX 700 (10.458 @ 120.98, 1.39 60. on tar)
    2002 SRX 700 (110 in 1000 f.t. on radar 8bu-10)
    5.74 e.t. 85.15 on grass
    1979 srx 440
    YAMAHA PERFORMANCE SNOWMOBILES
    ''my old dinosaur just ate your new sled for lunch ''

Agreed^. Every Yamaha chaincase From 1992- 2002 I've worked on the bearings were exposed to chaincase oil. Seals on outside

Oh boy I didn't mean for this post to end up this way. Thanks for sharing both trains of thought, both have good points. I think it's upto the individual to come to their own conclusion. I'm pretty sure somewhere in Yami engineering department the same discussions have taken place. I kind of like the open to oil concept because, any nasties should get caught by the magnetic tip of the dip stick. Also yearly oil change should keep things clean.

Sled is back together and stored for the summer. Now is dirt bike season, but there is one part of me wishing for a snow storm. This will be my first track installed and I can't wait to see the difference on the trail from stock.

Thanks again for all the input, cheers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Senior Member Open Mod

i did not want to give ya bad info or take this to a piss match. over that. i posted what i saw. 3:16x (yammie tony)
    WELCOME TO YAMAHA HEAVEN / WINTER THUNDER/ VMAX4 800 5.91 e.t.
    1995 VMAX 800- FASTEST YAMAHA EVER RUN AT THE AMERICAN SNOWMOBILER MAG SHOOTOUT. 105.16 mph
    2000 SRX 700 (10.458 @ 120.98, 1.39 60. on tar)
    2002 SRX 700 (110 in 1000 f.t. on radar 8bu-10)
    5.74 e.t. 85.15 on grass
    1979 srx 440
    YAMAHA PERFORMANCE SNOWMOBILES
    ''my old dinosaur just ate your new sled for lunch ''

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by YAMMIEGOD3:16 View Post
    i did not want to give ya bad info or take this to a piss match. over that. i posted what i saw. 3:16x (yammie tony)
    Its not an argument, but simply a gentlemen's discussion...
    Last edited by Vincent; 05-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.

I did mine recently as well. I purchased an aftermarket bearing kit. It had seals on both sides. I left them both in place. When I removed the jack shaft I realized the bearing was bad. If memory serves me right. The seal was only on the gear side. Good thing I thought to myself, because the bearing would have sent a lot of metal through the chain case.

Quote Originally Posted by brethren View Post
    Maybe a few pictures will help spark a response

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    How did you remove that bearing from housing? I haven't tried slide hammer yet as all my bearing pullers are to big. Don't want to damage the housing as I see it's obsolete from Yamaha.

By the way that homeade press is neat.

Got it out nevermind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12