2003 SX Viper Drive Shaft bearing Question

Patricarl

I'm new here and did try to research this...

It appears the bearing and sensor are shot, I'm wondering why the shaft seems to be on such an angle and will this align after I loosen the track? or should I be looking for something else that is causing this?

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• Bearing sensor 2.jpg
    Bearing sensor 2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16
  • bearing sensor.JPG
    bearing sensor.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 16

There is supposed to be a bearing there. It looks as if the outer portion of the bearing is gone. There are two Allen head or torex lock nuts on the inside holding the inner portion on. My bet is the bearing in chain case is also shot.

Your going to need a manual. They have them here on this site available for you ,if you join as a member. It is only like15$. Worth its weight in gold.

Look for the (VIP) at the top of the screen. Click on that. You can become a VIP member through there. Then contact one of the webmasters. They should help you with the rest.

it should be a T-20 bit if I remember right. Might be better to drop the track so you don't have all that pressure on the shaft. Also if you plan n replacing the track. This would be a good time for it. Go through the suspension bushings/bearings ect.

That is some carnage. The whole bearing is gone, I would say it took a few miles to do that to a bearing. You need to remove that big circle plate from tunnel, should pop right off you already removed bolts. Remove speedo gear by removing bolt on end of shaft. Then the outer race of bearing should come out. Inner may prove to be worse. At this point best to go all the way as mentioned and remove track, tear down chain case Ect. As mentioned there should be two Torx screws holding bearing on shaft. Don't loose as new bearings don't come with these screws. How to remove track with detailed pics can be found in Tech section. Link at top of page "ty tech". At this point a total disassemble seems in order, skid, track, shaft, chain case.

Back