Jetting too lean for psi pipes?

j2hizzo

VIP Member
I just purchased a 95 v4 800 and it had a blown cylinder. Rest of sled was well cared for with 3k. Sled has psi pipes and supposedly stock everything else. Main jets are only 145 in all 4 carbs. Pilot jets are stock at 147.5. Should i consider going up a bit on both main and pilot?

I just purchased a 95 v4 800 and it had a blown cylinder. Rest of sled was well cared for with 3k. Sled has psi pipes and supposedly stock everything else. Main jets are only 145 in all 4 carbs. Pilot jets are stock at 147.5. Should i consider going up a bit on both main and pilot?

You could go up but are you sure it was burn down on jetting and not dirty carbs?

Hard telling. Im sure carbs werent clean.im just not familiar with this pipe setup. I know the typical rule of thumb is go up in jets when putting extra pipes on a 2 stroke

Stock jetting for your sled is 143.8 for the mains and 47.5 for the pilots.

If you are at 145 mains and 47.5 pilots you are not lean with a stock engine and PSI quads. PSI actually recommended going down to 132 on the mains for an 800 with stage II mod quad pipes.

If it was an actual lean burned piston it was from a dirty carb. If is was "blown" with physical damage not related to a typical burned piston it was more than likely from ingestion of one of the white air box tabs that are notorious for breaking off.

opsled

a topic that was beat to death at vmax4.com . these are great pipes and add hp, but you needed to drop jetting for fast heat so they will make the power. in 1995 fuel was way better than the crap today. jet it atleast stock and be safe. parts for this motor are all but gone. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Back