1997 vmax sx 700 rear skid help

Redbeard1983

Hey guys and girl I am a new member and looking for some help. I have torn apart my rear skid on a 1997 vmax sx 700. I have noticed that the middle shock ( larger of the two ) only compresses about and inch to an inch and half. Is that normal or should it be able to compress all the way ? Thanks in advance for your help !

Hey guys and girl I am a new member and looking for some help. I have torn apart my rear skid on a 1997 vmax sx 700. I have noticed that the middle shock ( larger of the two ) only compresses about and inch to an inch and half. Is that normal or should it be able to compress all the way ? Thanks in advance for your help !

Do you mean the rear shock? It sits flatter up in the skid?

Yes, it sits up top in the horizontal ish position. When I compress it it feels like it's hitting something internally. Just thought maybe there is a stopper inside or something ?

Yes, it sits up top in the horizontal ish position. When I compress it it feels like it's hitting something internally. Just thought maybe there is a stopper inside or something ?
If you have someone else push on the back and watch the side transfer rods (on each side with the white spacers) Those will take up the slack and once its coupled it pull on the front shock and it feels like it stops. Its for the bigger hits, it uses both shocks.

So the shock doesn't compress all the way ? The skid is out of the sled and torn apart. I have taken the shocks off the skid and springs off the shocks. When I push down on the shock it only goes in about an inch doesn't fully compress. It's the internals of the shock that feels like something is preventing it from a full compression.

So the shock doesn't compress all the way ? The skid is out of the sled and torn apart. I have taken the shocks off the skid and springs off the shocks. When I push down on the shock it only goes in about an inch doesn't fully compress. It's the internals of the shock that feels like something is preventing it from a full compression.

Now that's a problem.. sounds like the internals are all blown apart. That will need to be repaired. It should stroke the entire length until it hits the rubber stopper.

Ok that's what I thought ! Are they rebuildable or should I just purchase one from eBay ? Thank you and I appreciate your help !

Back