The max summer build

There was a new guy on here a few years ago that had the same pipes. He did not want them and we bartered for them. I took my sons stocker off of his 99 SX6, blasted and high temp powder coated them. We made an even trade. You could do the same if you want to go back to stock.

There was a new guy on here a few years ago that had the same pipes. He did not want them and we bartered for them. I took my sons stocker off of his 99 SX6, blasted and high temp powder coated them. We made an even trade. You could do the same if you want to go back to stock.

Ya right on I do have the stock pipe as well with modded can it worked really well with that motor I am putting in

I GOT SOME EXCITING NEWS!!;)! More to come In the AM!! Sorry did not have camera in shop tonight will post more pics tomorrow.

AM.... PM whats the diff eh??? so i got the motor in the other night a few pulls and she fired right up got it running at about midnight in my haste to get it running I put the wrong carbs on...... whoops, i will just have to swap the jets out the carbs off the 97. The ones i have on there now are jetted for the triple pipes, a little rich i imagine. here are some pics of the motor in and running

View attachment 63182
View attachment 63183
View attachment 63184

I need some help.... for the life of me I can't remember where the coil pack bolts to! :o| If anyone has a pic of where it bolts to would be greatly appreciated!

Ok thanks couple a bucks! I did do a bit of reading on those PSI's I am very surprised that you wouldn't have to go any richer on those, I am obviously missing the Logic some where. So i took the carbs off and apart and found

-140 mains straight across
-52.5 pilot jets (these i am a little baffled by)
- needle on clip #2 from the top

I do have a pic of what I had this motor jetted for in the old mountain max without the triples and it was what the manual said, although i did find it a bit on the rich side but was good enough to ride all last winter :) I figured I would find some tell tale signs of why this thing went kaboom but so far nothing is really jumping out at me besides the fact it 6800km and I am sure low maintenance. what it had done to it when I got it was triple pipes, and the air box mod...... which I have heard mixed reviews about soooooo I am going to go with my non butchered air box off the 97

here is the jetting chart and what I have highlighted in pencil is what I had the old machine jetted at. (and a pic of my 3 inch bar riser I stole off the other MAX)

sorry that jetting chart pic is terrible

its
137.5 2&3
138.5 PTO
57.5 pilots
needle clip position #2
elevation 4500-6600 (mostly 6000ft)
temp around -10 to -20ish
if you guys have any insight or jetting knowledge please point me in the right direction.. dont get me wrong i am not trying to start a whole other Jetting thread we know there is enougn of those HAHAHA. i don't mind playing around and doing my research got lots of time........:letitsnow (to early i know but one can dream)

Thanks guys for checking this build out and the insight i have received already

View attachment 63185
View attachment 63186
View attachment 63186

Ya kind of why I never did it on my old mountain max. That guy who had the sled before with the blown motor would have been riding around the same elevation, maybe thats why it was jetted a bit richer on the mains?? But a bit leaner on the pilots?? That I don't get.... my book calls for 57.5 on the pilots and if he was running those psi's with a 52.5 pilot could that have contributed to crank bearing failure?? And he said he put 5,000km on it like that no problem..... I figured these ol red heads would go longer then that? But maybe not if it's all mountain riding?? And no maintainence??

Hey thanks seems to be I am close with jetting. I was reading that think wow I am way off.... thheeenn I seen it was for sea level haha! I will also follow that clutching thread on there I would love to play around with clutching it seems it didn't grab the belt hard enough last year a friend of mine suggested cleaning the clutch sides with a scotch bright pad. But look forward to dialling in that clutch. It was revving about 8000ish rpm with stock pipe. Sound about right??

Well the snow has fallen early here in the north okanagan of BC took the ol girl around the back yard and it runs really good. For a backyard run of course. Don't worry I haven't forgot about taking a picture of alpine bliss haha. It's getting closer to that time of year! Can't wait looking forward to try this thing out in the mountains compared to the bone stock 97 I had.

One thing I did notice was my grip and thumb warmers weren't working........ I'll have to look into that. Looks like they just opened up the local trails here up the mountain. Low snow conditions..... But non the less might get out this weekend and see what bolts I forgot to tighten

Back