The max summer build

Hello everyone, I have been around this site for a long time. The amount of info and help on this site is amazing. when I started researching snowmobiles about 4 or 5 years ago I came upon this site and with my limited knowledge I seen mountain max's could go upward of 20,000kms!!! I couldn't believe it! so I found a mountain max 600 (twin) thinking it was a mountain max and it would go forever. Went out picked it up for $700 had 10,000km on it, well that's what ODO said anyway it quit working so who knows how much it really had on it. Took it out a few times, once to the big mountains few times to have a camp fire with the wife and kids. Now when I was riding the thing I thought WOW this thing is loud (and I am not talking about the exhaust) the motor was sooo loud you could hardly stand by it! well the next ride I was going back to the big mountain, I believe this was ride number 4 on the thing zipping along the perfectly smooth groomed trail, paid my $20 and the perfect blue bird day was ahead of me turned the corner saw the 3 km marker sign only 17km more km till alpine bliss............... GGRRRRIIIINNND BBAANNGG!!! Well I guess alpine bliss will have to wait.... got my buddy to pull my sorry mountain max butt back to the truck with his cougar 440, loaded "the thing" back into my truck took it home assessed the damage. Con rod bearing came apart went through the cylinder and busted the piston skirt in half so I took off and sold what I could off it made about 500 bucks back and the snowmobile saga took a well needed rest. Fast forward 2 years …………..This guy my dad was talking with said, ya I got a 97 mountain max 700 I might sell, so I called him, he said ya I got a couple other guys interested so I said well give me call if it doesn't sell. Well I had forgotten about it till march when he calls me up says ya those guys never came up with the cash (if you can believe it????) still want it? I picked up for $1000 had 2300km and brand new clutches because the old ones were stolen……….. so now that you know my snowmobile life story ill get on with it. Rode it for a year got all the bugs out after its sat for about 2 years. Found this 2002 mountain max for $500 (blown motor) but still all in tact not ripped apart yet. This starts my summer build project!!!! Here is the motor I pulled out of the 2002 completely done! and a pic of the the suspension set up with the mpi transfer strap came on the sled when I bought it. Also a pic of before the I cleaned the engine bay....... more pics and updates to come!!

I will be taking the motor out of the 97 mountain max and dropping it in the '02 I have already got fly wheel off (what an ordeal that was, pic of home made puller to come) of the 97 to switch the electronic portion from 02 motor over.

I will for sure send pics of alpine bliss when I get there only 4-5 months before the snow is good enough on the alpine!! But for now I will enjoy the okanagan summer and tinker on my ride :)

Franken Puller Sagga

Here is my home made puller, 3 holes in a triangle and one bored out in the middle because I didn't have the right size drill bit :o| hahaha! probably the most hillbilly thing I have made. So frustrating trying to get the flywheel off of the '97 motor, pretty sure its bin on there since....... '97 well after a few searches on TY and 3 nights later one more attempt with franken puller I have tighten it with about a 1 foot extension and could not tighten anymore I was thinking
I am not sure I want to tighten it with a longer snipe bar. my 1 1/2 your old boy was helping/take all the tools out of my tool box when he was walking around where I was working........ moved him back out of the way walked across to the other bench to grab my hammer one last tap on the puller and......... BANG!!!! that fippen thing came off so fast it flew about 6ft across my shop and landed in my motor bay of the old mountain max. i could not believe the pressure behind that thing was unreal!! the 02 flywheel came off way easier! so that concludes the franker puller sagga :D View attachment 63166 View attachment 63166

Hmmm I just seen a sticker on the tunnel said 07/01 does that mean because it's made in the second half of 01 it would be an 02. I know it is a 141" I just thought 02's where 144 :)

We got good fuel and access to 91-94 octane fuel I usually run 91 died fuel because it's the same price as regular. Prob don't have to. I don't have the head gasket mod done or anything. As far as jetting and elevation. I usually ride around 6000-6400 feet sometime a bit lower. The jets that came in carbs that were on that 02 I believe were 140 mains straight across and pilots I forget I'll have to take carbs apart and look. I was just going to use the carbs off the 97 because they are not heated, and we're jetted for that motor. I suppose I could just cap off the lines on the 02 carbs eh? I actually wasn't going to run the triple pipes because they where a bit beat up and cracked and I am worries about longevity with those pipes on...... maybe I am over thinking it??? I am also not a high marker so don't reeeeaaalllyyy need the extra HP. But I am who couldn't go for a little extra HP.....

Back