Cleaning out threaded holes

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
What do other people use to clean out the old loctite,rust or other debris from threaded holes when working on your sleds? For the past number of years I've been using a tap for what ever size and run it through the hole to clean out the threads.But recently I've been made aware that I should be using a rethreading tap to do this to lessen the risk of cutting new threads.I was wondering what you all use and if I should indeed switch from a regular tap to a rethreading tap or if there's something else I should be using.

What do other people use to clean out the old loctite,rust or other debris from threaded holes when working on your sleds? For the past number of years I've been using a tap for what ever size and run it through the hole to clean out the threads.But recently I've been made aware that I should be using a rethreading tap to do this to lessen the risk of cutting new threads.I was wondering what you all use and if I should indeed switch from a regular tap to a rethreading tap or if there's something else I should be using.

I have always did what you said.. never thought of it.

I never gave it much thought either but a mechanic friend told me that the correct thing to use is a rethreading tap,or die if doing a bolt,so you don't end up recutting new threads.I think I'll start pricing up a rethreading kit though.

depends on the size of the hole. a pic and brake kleen usually but i have made a bolt in cases with a groove cut into it with a hacksaw blade/grinder for some things. always have some old ones around from other scrapped things.

It sounds like he's referring to a thread chaser.

Back