Viper electric start removal?

putzy

I picked up a really clean viper er with low miles this summer, and have it stripped down and going through everything, I am keeping the reverse ,but eliminating the electric start system, just wondering by removing the battery it will make the tach and lights go crazy, can I hard wire the 2 smoother condensers into the system just like the standard vipers , I see on the wiring diagrams that the condensers are just tied in with the red wire coming out of voltage regulator , so I'm thinking that the red wire which is supplying the battery with the charge would be a good spot to tie into for the smoothers, anyone try or done this. I will be selling all the electric start components if anyone is interested, going to be at Princeton and haydays grass drags in minnesota. thanks for any info

Last edited:

The harness should already have the connections for the smoothing condenser. Sitting on sled look above right side footwell should have connections tucked in there. You will have to remove cowel bolts to get in there.

The harness should already have the connections for the smoothing condenser. Sitting on sled look above right side footwell should have connections tucked in there. You will have to remove cowel bolts to get in there.

This weekend I took off the cowling to expose the voltage regulator and wiring above right footwell, I cut open the big wire harness from the top off steering gate all the way to voltage reg, I cannot find 2 couplers that the smoother condensers will plug into anywhere, in system, according to the wiring diagram they should be hooked into the red wire coming from voltage regulator on a std viper, mine is a ER, I wonder if they used different harness? I traced the red wire from reg half way up the harness, it made a junction ,one red wire went to key switch the other to starter seloniod , I guess I'm going to just wire the smoothers into the red wire like they show in wiring diagram and hope for the best. Does anyone with a std viper happen to have their right side cowling off, that could shoot me a picture of the wiring. Thanks.

This weekend I took off the cowling to expose the voltage regulator and wiring above right footwell, I cut open the big wire harness from the top off steering gate all the way to voltage reg, I cannot find 2 couplers that the smoother condensers will plug into anywhere, in system, according to the wiring diagram they should be hooked into the red wire coming from voltage regulator on a std viper, mine is a ER, I wonder if they used different harness? I traced the red wire from reg half way up the harness, it made a junction ,one red wire went to key switch the other to starter seloniod , I guess I'm going to just wire the smoothers into the red wire like they show in wiring diagram and hope for the best. Does anyone with a std viper happen to have their right side cowling off, that could shoot me a picture of the wiring. Thanks.

Hmmm, the harness could be different but as far as I knew they were the same. I can shoot you a pic but it won't be until Friday as sleds are at my cabin. This would be right footwell as sitting on sled. Also known as mag side. Or right in front of where battery mounts, exhaust can.

Yes that's the spot, I have had Yamahas for the last 30 years, but never a er viper, alway had sxr , phasers, etc. the smoothers were usually mounted in hood, by headlights, one would think yamaha would have used the same harness, and just added the components for a std or er version as required. I even looked under left side cowling by cdi box and relays, no couplers on that side. Oh well I will keep searching, have to get carbs cleaned yet , and then fire it up this week and hard wire my smoothers in and see how it reacts.

The er harnes must be slightly different. I have a junk harness at the cabin if you want I can see if I still have the connectors still on it. Then you can just hard wire them in. You can have them, let me know

Thanks , take a look at it when u have a chance, It would be interesting to know how the std viper smoothers are wired in by the voltage reg. keep me posted, I don't know anyone in my area that has a std viper that I can take a look at.

Back