1998 ovation

tippmannator

I have an opportunity to buy a 89 ovation for 475 for my 10 year old...not familier with these older models... Is this too good to be true? What issues should i be looking for? Any advice?

Last edited:

nothing too serious from what i recall. some of the parts are becoming hard to get but they are out there.

usual older sled stuff with chassis at minimum. motor, check crank seals once running and most of the tubing will be getting brittle for the gas and oil lines. carb is a bugger as it is that 2 barrel single bugger that my 410 has and i have never found any good info on it but when it works, it works well. if it has been sitting, clutches will need to be cleaned.

they are a good little sled that can be a lot of fun and will teach your kids lots about riding.

just did a bunch of this to an old 1989 et400t/r that i picked up for $100.00 and my brothers 1978 et340 when i fixed them up for his kids to ride.

great little sleds ....I look at them like a original phazer with shorter track and a ET 340 engine cranks seals should be changed and correct one only available from yamaha carb like was said is a single 2 barrel butterfly that works well only thing i would be concerned with is track condition as the short tracks for these sleds are hard to find ..... only other thin is where the fuel screws screw in if they have been over tightened they will but the casting on the inside of the carb and the sled will never idle right or have good response and will need a new carb when cleaning the carb look at the inside of the barrel on the intake side there should be 2 small holes on the top if the casting is broke away (will be completely noticeable) then time for a different carb ......

Back