Phazer II Skid Swap Opinions wanted

boringnh

Hi,

Rebuilding a Phazer 2 for and with my son right now. We are going to make it a 136". Pretty sure it will end up with a 1.5" paddle and 7 tooth drivers. What I am looking for is so insight and info from others that have done the same or know about it. We live in New England. 3 to 4' of powder is a big winter for us. I am bouncing back and forth on whether to put rail extensions on the 121" skid, which needs new shocks and bearing, or just find another 136" skid from a newer sled. What would be better? It will be trail ridden as well as played in the powder. Can I use the stock skid and get some more travel out of it? The look of the taller rear of the sled is appealing to my son. If I change out the skid to a newer style one, do I lose handling or trail riding ability? Cost wise, by the time I rebuild the skid and pick up the rail extensions, I could easily afford a newer skid. Also, would a 1.25" track with the stock 8 tooth drivers work fine for 3 to 4' of snow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1.25 is a huge improvement over the stock tracks of that era and the ripsaw is actually lighter than the oe track. you could try and find a phazer st skid for it but those are rare. i only ever found one myself and the guy would not ship it to me even when i said i would pay for shipping any way he wanted to ship it. i would go with a rail extension kit and rebuild your skid as most newer ones are heavyer than the stock skid in that sled and part of the fun with a phazer is how light and nimble it is. could always kick the extension up on the tail witch makes it look taller but also helps with snow evacuation.

I am not familiar with the kick up the extension. Do you me angling it up? Would i need to make the extensions longer to accommodate that?

kick up the extension is basically when you mount it you kick it up a few degrees from level with the stock tunnel. i do not think you have to make the extension longer if you are fabricating your own.

Back