86 phazer stator testing?

YZViper366

Lifetime VIP Member
Hi I have a 86 phazer and I'm trying to get it to run it's been a while since it was running but last time I got it to start I could only get it to rev up to about 4500rpm. It was my dad's sled he got mad and gave up on it and gave it to me. He seemed to think it was the stator that was bad.

I did some research and found a thread on another forum with how to test the stator and so I followed that guys instructions tested the white/red wire pick-up coil and got 15.7ohms which was in spec. Tested the brown wire source coil got .58ohms which is out of spec. Tested the yellow wire armature coil and got .0 which is out of spec also.

Does all that sound like I tested it right? I'm no genius with this kind of stuff so correct me if I'm wrong. If the stator is out could this be my problem with the sled.

PS carbs are clean top end is rebuild fuel pump is rebuild new fuel lines.

if the stator is out of spec, it will not run right. how is the engine ground to chassis? seen that cause a few problems on older sleds.

I am not sure where is the ground located I will check that while I have it all torn down.

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the stator on a phazer ive never done one before

usually have to pull the shroud on right side of motor. remove the fan belt (check fan bearings while out). then you remove the flywheel to get at the stator. might have to lift the motor to get enough clearance but that is the general plan for doing it.

Can anyone give me specs on what the stator should at using a ohm meter. I bought a used stator and tested it and it seems to be testing about the same as the one I thought to be bad. Anyone have instructions on how to do the test maybe I am doing something wrong.

Back