1974 GPX 338 engine rebuild

vmaxcrazy

Looking to have one tired GPX 338 engine rebuilt. Sled runs now but only has 118 # compression on both cylinders. Might as well have crank redone too (bearings and seas). Any one know of where in MI, I could get this done. If not in MI, someone who knows how to do the job right. Not looking to modify this engine. I'll have my spare engine done later. That one will be modified for a later project.

well in michigan i dont know any other than Flannery as far the in wisconsin i can do it i do them then all the time .. i use all oem KOYO bearings and if needed new rods as far as pistons go the best bet is the wiseco remakes as it will be easy to get rings for them then if the bores are good and pistons are good then is may just need a re ring.... porting is not a problem along with head work ...only down fall is it all depends how fast you need it as i am backed up on this a by few months and by then all the service work starts for the trail sleds and the customers that need the race sleds gone threw ...........when testing compression make sure you hold the throttle wide open ... as far as the crank goes if everything is all original it will need crank seals and i can bet the crank needs a full rebuild pm me if you want more info

Found a local guy here in MI to rebuild engine. Iron Dog, he's done this for over 35 years and specializes in Yamahas.

Back