Srx sat for 8 years, time to get my clutches set again

Wishing for snow!
Hey guys. I'm finally getting the old 98 srx 700 up and running again. I got new rings and pistons installed and all new gaskets. I'm putting the stock pipes back on, since I made the mistake of selling my power Inc pipes 8 years ago. Got the carbs cleaned up and rejected for stock pipes with porting.

I ripped the clutches apart:
8DN-20 4.5g tip 3.6g heel
W-w-w spring with 7mm shim

52/42 helix (re-ground yamaha 8bv50)
Green @70

Stock gearing. Is this still a go to clutch setup? I cant remember what my revs were as it's been so long

Sled is ported pretty heavy, and head are shaved and squish angle played with.

Still a go to set-up for a STOCK motor, I got a feeling your going to be over revving. My 01 had heads shaved, stock porting with 23/40 gears had to run bolts in the 8dn-20's, G-W-G with a 53/43 silver I think. Given I did have shorter gearing then yours and running a stiffer secondary spring so you might be close then.

Sounds like a decent dn20 setup with the WWW and custom helix (can't really compare it to anything). You already know the answer...run it and see. Dn20s not my favorite weight for specific purposes but great all around trail weight.

I wish we could have snow already!
Just trying to get an idea of the new age clutch setups.
It's been a while since I've been around the sled scene.

Depends what your doing for riding, I run heel clicker drag n flys but I mostly drag or lake run. Been using the red spring all the time, I've pulled 118MPH on GPS with this spring but I've heard using stock Yamaha spring (G-W-G or W-W-W) has benefits with the flys for on the lake which I will try this year.

I'll be doing 75% trail and 25% lake running.
I have a different setup for drag laying around somewhere, I should dig that out and see how I have that set up.

Back